Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Another dumb question for the roofing pro's!

So on the back of my house, there is an addition that was built about 30 years ago. The main house has a 4 pitch asphalt shingle (3-tab) roof.

The roof I need to strip and re-shingle has 4 or 5 layers of shingles, and roofing nails that are like 2 1/2" long. No really! The very top layer of shingles overlaps the bottom roof by one course.

Then the addition was build right against the edge of the roof. It's almost flat, but not quite. Over an 8 foot span the rise is 3 or so inches.

So this somewhat flat roof has like some sort of fiberglass or asphalt rolled roofing, which is tarred. This part of the roof isn't bad, and I have no desire to strip it. It looks like a nightmare to strip, and frankly, beyond my skill to replace.

Now here is my question. If I strip the 4 or 5 layers of 3-tab shingles on the main roof, the lower roof where it rides UP the main roof about 20" will be literally an INCH higher than the roof sheathing. I was thinking just overlap the ice & water shield 12" or so over that lower roof, and maybe double up (or more) on the starter shingles to help the transition.

But what would YOU guys do?

-- Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Another dumb question for the roofing pro's!-roofing_nightmare.jpg  

anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

To keep from disturbing the low pitched roof, you might have to fur the bump out. Depending on the severity, you might have to rip a piece of plywood or possibly just use cedar shingles or a combination of the two.

You might be able to flip the membrane back, dig out the roofing material under it and flip it back into place.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
Slyfox (09-23-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

If you are going to live there for awhile I would tear it all off. If you can handle the upper roof you can for sure handle the flat roof. Plenty of guys on here to recommend what product to use on the flat roof. It will be right and you won't have anything to worry about for a long time. Time for a "Tear Off Party". Have fun!
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by josall;733864[B
]If you are going to live there for awhile I would tear it all off. [/B]If you can handle the upper roof you can for sure handle the flat roof. Plenty of guys on here to recommend what product to use on the flat roof. It will be right and you won't have anything to worry about for a long time. Time for a "Tear Off Party". Have fun!

Unless it's still got reasonable life left in it.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
Slyfox (09-23-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #5

If considering replacing the built-up section, you should look into a SBS( asphalt applied) or APP (torch applied) Modified Bitumen product like GAF Ruberoid or C-Teed Flintlastic. They are like a built up roof in one!! You can also apply the SBS product using a special SBS cold process cement. They come n a granulated finish or smooth finish where you would put a coating of fibered aluminum coating to protect the membrane. I woul also recommend applying aluminum coating if you decided not to remove that roof to protect from UV rays.

The modified could also be used as a flashing where the two roofs tie in (transition) over the ice and water shield. They are approx. 3 mils thick (and very durable as they have plastic polymers in them) and would also fill your void. If going back with white shingles, the products come with a white granulated surface which would blend in with the shingles. It would be the same premise as using the starter strip but a stronger, more professional flashing material.

You can read all about it by searching for "Modified Bitumen" on google.

Good luck!! Hope this information helps you!!
Horseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote