Aluminum Flashing Showing Through Shingles On New Bay Window Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Aluminum flashing showing through shingles on new bay window roof

Hi,

I just had a new roof put on over my bay window. I just noticed the aluminum flashing is showing through between the top molding, and the upper shingles, on the left side. It might have been there since day 1 and I didn't notice, or it may have begun sometime after the roof went on. In the pic the spots I'm talking about are in the upper left of the roof, 2 gray areas about 6 inches long and one inch wide, going up at a 45 degree angle, between the top molding and the shingles. Why is this happening and how can the roofers fix it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum flashing showing through shingles on new bay window roof-bay3.jpg  

Advertisement

Kronor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

Going to need a better picture.
Looks like the step flashing from little I can see.
Looks like it was installed to low in relationship to the shingle. None of it should be showing.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=32

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #3

Thanks! What do the roofers need to do to fix it? How long will it take? If they don't fix it, will it leak or cause problems later other than cosmetic?

Thanks
Kronor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

Without a better picture it's anyone's guess what's wrong and how to fix it.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronor View Post
Hi,

I just had a new roof put on over my bay window. I just noticed the aluminum flashing is showing through between the top molding, and the upper shingles, on the left side. It might have been there since day 1 and I didn't notice, or it may have begun sometime after the roof went on. In the pic the spots I'm talking about are in the upper left of the roof, 2 gray areas about 6 inches long and one inch wide, going up at a 45 degree angle, between the top molding and the shingles. Why is this happening and how can the roofers fix it?

Thanks
Can not tell without better photos, but quick glace nothing is wrong.

There is a flashing going over the top of the shingles and up the wall. There is a counter-flashing going into the brick and coming down over the top of the flashing.

I think you are likely seeing the bottom of a galvanized flashing that is mostly covered by a painted counter-flashing. The galvanized portion really sticks out to the eye, but if this is the case it is a minor cosmetic issue.
Dallas Roofing is offline   Reply With Quote