Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

algae prevention

Where can I buy copper stripping? Is it realy effective against algae?

Barbara Kunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

algae prevention

Any real roofing supply with have both copper and far less expencive zinc strips.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,038

algae prevention

Some report that it is relatively effective.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

algae prevention

just for a quick introduction, ive been working with a roofing company for about 3 or 4 months and what im going to tell you is what ive learned from coworkers, seen on houses and things ive read.

yes copper in general is very effective against algae. as for the strips, im sure you can google it and find some. the only problem is that a lot of roofs with the strips will still have algae streaks where the water flows between the strips. they do help a little but in the end algae wins. there is also a spray coating for roofs but that must be reapplied each year. it protects the entire area better but can become expensive year after year. your best option to prevent algae is to re-roof with algae resistant shingles (there are many of these on the market) though i dont recommend this as a diy job.

good luck with everything and please be safe if you choose to go on your roof. if you do, i would recommend a roofing harness. you can get them at home depot for under $100 and anything that protects your life and health is a good idea.
domrodrigez is offline   Reply With Quote