Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

Share |

Advice needed on what to do now....

So I just installed a new roof on my detached garage. I used 30 year Timberline dimensional shingles. A guy at my church has done 12 plus roofs and according to him never had issues. So here's the deal. I have never done a roof but am very handy and me and a couple buddies installed this roof under my friends supervision that has done roofs before. So, we installed the shingles with only 3 nails. Didn't know any different because it was my first roof. I started noticing some of the shingles were pulling thru the nails. Probably 5 or 6 pulled out all 3 nails but stayed in place for the most part. I noticed them because one of the corners was sagging. So I re-nailed them and looked over the roof and found a few more that 1 or 2 nails pulled thru so I fixed those. When I came inside I did some research and saw that I am short on nails on all shingles. So my question is....should I leave the roof, or tear it off and fix it? It is an unheated garage except for the occasional portable heater so I can work on my car. I also put on 3 mushroom vents to allow for me to heat it in the future. Also did the ice shield. I know that the sun will heat the roof and everything will kind of "melt" together but if shingles are pulling thru nails, did I just waste $1000 in materials? It's a nightmare because I don't want to have to redo this thing. Any thoughts? Oh, also there are a couple spots where nails show up below where a seam falls on the next course....do I need to tar those?

thisistruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Thrasher

Did you use a roofing gun or did you hand nail them?

In my opinion I would tear it off and do it again and use at least 4 nails (5 or 6 if roof is too steep).

Lulimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Thrasher

I would also suggest you to read a shingle application manual from one of the roofing manufacturers.
Lulimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Half a dozen of one, 6 of another. You'll have to try renailing the roof and then deciding if it's just easier to start over. What you have is already failing and it won't get better.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #5

i used a nail gun. if i went back over and just put a couple more nails in each shingle would that work? and what about the nail from the previous course showing up under a seam? Should I tar those?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistruth View Post
i used a nail gun. if i went back over and just put a couple more nails in each shingle would that work? and what about the nail from the previous course showing up under a seam? Should I tar those?
Either cut out 6-16" from each shingle above, making sure the two new seams aren't over a nail and putting in a repalcement shingle, or just pull the shingle with the nail in joint and installing a new one. Just do this whereever you find the problems. The nails can't be closer than 6" from a seam.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #7

why are the tiles coming up off the nails did the install catch a good part of the summer sun heat to seal there.i had a roof on my cape cod get relocated into my yard from the 2010 March Nor'easter here on the south shore.they came in put ice shield rubber down and a hurricane 100mph shingle in with 6 nails each and it survived the Irene hurricane 75mph after 2 summer sun melts on the shingle sealer.i would renail each shingle with a shot of roofing sealer you need to make up some gizzmo to hammer the nail under the pinched up one hold the nail with your index and middle finger..but how to nail it down..either that or rip the roof for a redo....bad time to do a roof with the fall winter and freezing rains and snow if its your area....how about tarping it till spring and round the troops up for a 2012 job consider the options your time is the only thing that is free ...goodluck note as your guy will confirm once you nail a furring strip down to hold a tarp the roof is shot.keep in mind that freeze protection rubber membrain if your in a frost ice area

Last edited by biggles; 10-11-2011 at 03:29 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
why are the tiles coming up off the nails did the install catch a good part of the summer sun heat to seal there.
No, roof was just installed this weekend....I only found a couple others that had pulled thru one nail so I fixed those and I realized that we only offset each course by about 3" and according to tinner666 we should have done at least 6" offset.....so basically the whole roof is shot. I'm almost at the point of letting it go and hoping for the best, and if it starts leaking at that point i'll just hire a company to redo the whole thing. I generally enjoy doing all my remodels and repairs in and around the house, but roofing sucks and you probably won't find me doing another one again any time soon....and I think I'll rely on my own research and abilities to do my projects from now on
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Next Time...New Build

What was your air pressure set at? Sounds like they were blowing through the shingle.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

If you're going to try and live with it, cut some aluminum for some .019 coil stock sold by roofing and siding places. I doubt the HD or Lowes stuff is much good, but it may work. Cut it into 8" by X".* Use it like a slate bib at each joint. See below.

The metal must lay flat. Probably won't look real pretty, but it could well prevent any leaks for years to come.

It's the best I can think of that's not pricey, or too labor intensive. Caulk won't work at all.

* Whatever lenght you need to cover the nails, span the joints, reach at least an inch under the shinlge above, and NOT interfer with the seal strip.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #11

You didn't read the inside of the package I take it. Just finished installing Lifetime Timberline HD dimensional shingles. The manufacturer recquires 4 nails per shingle and each starter strip to be cut 6-7" shorter than previous. If I remember correctly I was cutting 7", 14", 21" and starting a full shingle on the next row.

Second, if you went over the top of old shingles, you need to add to the nail length to insure you bite into the wood.

If you are only having problems in a few areas you can try to repair them but adding a nail or two to the shingles and using longer nails to get better penetration. It's going to be short term fix though, and the manufacturer will not back up it's 30 year warranty do to improper installation. Fix it as you need to and ride it out until you can do it properly the next time. Hopefully a good day in the sun will melt the tar strips together and prevent any major issues.
yeag6154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #12

You can also use pre cut step flashing to cover the nail heads that fall on a seam, make sure it lies flat and it is beneath the shingle above....Maybe get some roofing nails and hand nail the shingles most in need...good luck

Denzo is offline   Reply With Quote