DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

advice needed on roof repair

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rizzo 
#1 ·
It's time to replace the metal roofing on my house. At the same time I need to address the poor building design that has led to water leaks. The end walls of the house extend up past the roof line. The end rafters of the house are set into these concrete end walls. Water runs down the inside of the endwalls, under the edges of the metal roofing and has begun to rot the end rafters. I can think of two remedies. The first, remove the top of the end walls above the roof line (about 2ft) and extend the roof out over the end walls. The second, install flashing or metal roofing sheets over the tops of the end walls that run down to the roof at an angle preventing rain from running into the roof/endwall junction.
I would appreciate any thoughts on these two alternatives or any other methods to correct this problem.
I have attached two photos of the east end wall.
thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Is it safe enough to walk on the top of the roof and take photos of the areas you are speaking of?

Be safe though.

Don't fall through the rotted decking.

Ed

#4 ·
Here are some pictures taken on the roof showing how the end walls meet the roofing. Please let me know if you need any other photos or information.
thank you.

Attachments

#5 ·
counterflash the concrete abuttments?

Where is this structure? Looks like something from the Phillipines. Anyway, what about this
- snap a chalk line along the masonry tower parallel to and several inches above the roof
- press brake or form up counter flashing that fits in to the slot made in step one and dumps water onto the new metal roof.
- weave step flashing (custom) under the new metal roof panels to work in conjunction with the counter flashing.

It is an interesting problem, but shouldn't be beyond remedy.

frank rizzo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.