Advice Needed: Patch, Repair, Or Replace? (pictures) - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice needed: patch, repair, or replace? (pictures)

Hi everyone,

First time poster here, but hope my post fits in!

I recently bought a house that needs some TLC on the roof. 1/4 of the roof is brand new from the previous owners (due to a tree falling on it), but the rest is of an unknown age.

1/2 of the roof looks like this, which to me looks pretty good.

1/4 of the roof (Western side) has some signs of wear in spots:

The valley clearly needs some work, especially in the bottom 10 feet:

Questions:
Looking at the valley, is there any way that I can cover it in a couple coats of roofing sealer and hopefully keep it water tight for another couple of years? Or is it totally beyond patching at this point? For what it's worth, there are no visible signs of leaking presently.

Looking at the rest of the roof, is there any cause for concern, or reason to replace the shingles? I had a roofer come by and he quickly said the whole thing needs to be replaced - I knew he would say the valley does, but I was a little surprised that he recommended everything else be replaced - I thought the rest looked reasonable for the time being.

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated! And for what it's worth, I'm located just outside Toronto, Canada.

Advertisement

testpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

I see issues with the whole thing.
Replace just part of the roof, what then? You'd have shingles two different shades, and later on one part would need replacing while the other had a few more years left and you would be back to square one.
Plan on staying in this house? If so do not install 3 tabs this time.
Use Arcutectual instead like the house behind you.
The valley looks like they just used rolled roofing in the valley.
The vent you do have should not have had face nails at the bottom of it.
There's exposed nails in the caps.
Does not look like there's enough roof venting, may be why the shingles cooked.

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 192

That roofs finished.
That colour, *lustre black* or its varients was real bad for premature failure. I would estimate that roof at no more than 10-12 years old.
Stuff like face nailed vents etc, is normal here. I have installed thousands that way without issue.
Next time get metal valleys installed, they hold up better in our climate.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 780

The previous owner should have gotten more aggressive with his claims adjuster and demanded the entire roof be done.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 586

Okay, so regardless of what the roof "looks" like, is whether it is functioning as it should. In other words...does it keep the outside weather out? If it's not leaking, you're okay...for now.

However, given the condition or how it appears, it probably isn't going to be long before it does start to leak. If I were recommending something, I'd probably say if you have the budget, replace the roof within the next 6-12 months or sooner if possible.

If you don't have the money now, wait till you have enough to do the job right, but just know you'll be taking a small risk given its condition. By doing it right I mean don't just do one part or just lay another layer over the top. Strip it all down, paper, and put back the finished shingles.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote