Advice Needed! New Roof Half-installed And It's Raining! - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice needed! New roof half-installed and it's raining!

I'm doing a complete remodel of my house during the wettest California winter in years.
Needless to say, the framing has been very wet several times, and now the partially complete roof is getting drenched. It's a two-story house with upper story setbacks on two sides. The roof has been papered/felted, but only partially shingled. The walls are still bare plywood, and the setback roof paper is loosely nailed up onto the bottom couple feet of the second story walls. The rain is running down these walls and getting between the felt and the plywood. To my untrained eyes, it seems there is a significant amount of water coming through in this way, as there are numerous leaks in the interior of the house. (Keep in mind, that everything is still bare framing at this point.) In addition, I think that water must be getting between the shingles and the felt as well. So, water is clearly between all the layers of the roof.

How concerned should I be with the long-term integrity of my roof? Will this water sit there and rot the plywood and paper or incubate mold?
Can such water intrusion dry out on its own? Does water trapped in this way wick out through the paper and/or wood? Should any action be taken at this point?

I "think" I'm more concerned with the water between the paper and the plywood, but I don't know enough about roofing materials to know for sure.

I'll voice my concerns to my contractor, but I have a feeling he'll simply say it won't be a problem and will dry out eventually. I'd like to trust him, as he's been good so far.

It's my first time doing a remodel, so I'm a bit ignorant on many topics.

If it makes any difference, the shingles are composition. The make and model are Certainteed Presidential.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Advertisement

blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

As long as all that’s getting wet is the new framing you should be fine, it will dry out. The only action you should be taking is to hurry up, get the roof on and the rest of the frame dried in.

If you have sheetrock, insulation, carpet, etc. getting wet on the existing house that’s entirely a different story.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Get it roofed a.s.a.p....Tarps?
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I agree. The longer you wait, the more problems you will have. Roof it asap or protect it with a temporary cover until your able to continue.
www.springtxroofingcontractors.com
springtxroofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Hire a professional roofing contractor who can installa roof on a typical new construction home in a day. No problems. As for the roofing material getting wet, I wouldn't worry, that's what it is there for. As for the framing getting wet, it will dry out, but will need time. Don't go installing insulation or drywall until you know it's dry.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rain , roof , shingles , wet