Advice On Low Slope Porch Roof Flashing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice on low slope porch roof flashing

I am looking to flash this low sloped porch roof the correct way as it is leaking around where it meets the house. Me and my father in law installed the torch down roofing about a year ago but it wasn't flashed properly. I asked him he didn't know what to suggest. I'm assuming the problem is just that--its not flashed and we did not use any ice or water shield.

I would like to know what to do to flash and seal it properly because I would like to finish the porch beneath it.

Advertisement

Eskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Have you water tested it and see where it is coming in specifically.

There are several things not ideal about that roof to wall connection but you need to isolate where the leak is coming from.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I should have mentioned the ceiling is unfinished so I can see where the water is coming in.

The area I circled in above the leak
Eskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

You are going to want to get rid of that scissor condition you have there by boxing it in. Remove the cove and the existing fascia, install nailers on the deck and box in with 23/32 plywood. You will have to remove the aluminum coating where you want to tie in your flashing by running your torch over the aluminum until it blisters then wire brushing the surface. This type of operation is very dangerous on wood frame construction, as starting a fire is a real possibility. Since you do have pretty good slope, I would recommend a two ply peel and stick material to fix this condition. SBS modified will have to be used as APP cannot turn a 90 where the horizontal plane meets the vertical box. I never like to see modified used without a cant strip, but in your case it will probably work, since you have good slope. The brick area should be primed with D-46 primer and flashed right up under the gutter above out past the gutter on the modified roof. You will need a vertical termination bar with a musket brown snap on cover there. I would have personally used EPDM for this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on low slope porch roof flashing-box.jpg  

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
roofermann (08-16-2014), Windows on Wash (08-16-2014)