Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #1

Share |

Advice about EPDM roofing

I have a low pitch 22 x 8 porch roof that needs new roofing. It is on the north side of the house, so it only gets a moderate amount of sun. There are no pipes in the roof, so I will be able to use one piece of EPDM with no seams. The roof isn't able to be seen from the road, so looks aren't very important.

I haven't done any roofing before but, after talking to some pros, I think I am handy enough to do this myself.

The local supplier only has black 60 mil EPDM made by Johns Manville, $1 a sq ft. The supplier said 60 mil should last "over 10 years." I am not sure if he is just being conservative or what, but I would really prefer to have a roof that lasts as long as possible, even if I have to spend more money on materials. He said using 90 mil is "highly unusual." Their price for all my materials was $675.

Should I get 90 mil? Should I get it in grey? I find some places I can order from online, but I am not sure what brands I should be looking for. Any other advice would be appreciated.

skiposwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #2

The millage for EPDM is not a point of emphasis for a residential roof. We typicaly use .045 Reinforced rolls on residential projects. We are able to Warranty this roof system for 20 years.

I would prefer the use of a .045 reinforced sheet to that of the .060 non reinforced but with that bing said if you are not able to get a reinforced sheet the .060 is more then adequate for your project.

Do not confuse the thickness of the membrane for efficiency. EPDM is a water tight membrane. Much more important then the thickness of the membrane is the installation techniques and flashing details.

Good Luck!

RoofDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #3

i concur. flashing is key. and installation. epdm by most measures should last over 20years when installed properly
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #4

Thanks. I am a bit surprised that people feel EPDM will last about 20 years, when I got 25 years out of my current rolled roofing, and EPDM is more expensive. I guess I need to research this some more.
skiposwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #5

well i said over 20years. its better to undersestimate
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #6

20 years is not the anticipated functional service life, it is the minimum i would expect to warranty the roof surface.

As a roofing contractor you cannot make a habit of telling people the high side of the roof's possible service life. All things considered there are more EPDM roof systems that last 30 years then there are EPDM roofs that last 20.

Hope this helps!
RoofDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

I typically use no less than 60 mil single ply, but will use 45 mil when customers want to save a buck, 90 mil is probably overkill for most projects. The EPDM will last forever, literally in a land fill forever. Where EPDM fails is from the seams and penetrations. As you said there are no seams nor penetrations.

According to various manufacturer specifications a mechanically attached roof is 10-15 years and a fully adhered roof 60 mil or greater is 15-20 year system rating. A 90 mil EPDM fully adhered and double seamed is good for 30 year. Will the roofs last longer than that? Sure, when properly installed, however those system ratings refelct warranty eligibility if you were a commercial property.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by Grumpy; 11-02-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epdm roof roofing