Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

Adequate venting for home?

My house has a roof job that was probably DIY by previous owner. It's not good but still adequate for possibly about a decade before needing replacement.

As part of that roof job, I think some of the vents weren't done properly? But wanted to check if they're adequate or if I have a problem I should fix soon rather than wait to do it all together when I reroof.

I haven't inspected the small attic space yet, but from going up on the roof, matching the location of rooms in the house, the one bathroom exhaust fan vent and the wall furnace vent appear to be vented correctly on the roof.

But based on the locations, the laundry room exhaust fan vent and kitchen exhaust fan vent appear to be using a small pipe (uncovered at the top) to vent similar to the sewer vent pipe but smaller in diameter. See referenced photo link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udx2fefli9f97hg/roofvents.jpg

Will those small pipes offer adequate (though not ideal) venting out of humidity from the laundry & kitchen? And do they need to be screened/covered at the top so things don't fall in or ok as is?

I'd prefer not to have to tear up parts of the roof and/or ceiling to reduct and vent properly.

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 0

no. Those fans would be completely different from PVC used for plumbing. And the need to be fixed.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 100

+1

Those are plumbing vents and not bath fans.

If they they are being used as bath fans, that is 100% improper and should be swapped out.

I see 5 plumbing type vents and one fan/flue vent.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the input.

From seeing inside the kitchen cabinets hiding the ducting to the range hood vent and what I can see for the laundry exhaust fan and its vent at the top on roof, it looks like there is proper ducting from the house side upwards. But I guess they got lazy and connected the ducting to plumbing vent pipes instead of fan vents/flues.

Some follow up questions. I know it should get fixed. But how urgent would it be to fix? Like as bad as plumbing or roof leak? Or something that can be deferred?

Also, how much work & cost might it be on average to get them fixed right? I assume this is roofing 101 job that a roofer can do for me?

I kinda wish the roof was in bad shape so I can replace everything at once. Kinda sucks to do some fixup work now and then replace roof later on in a couple of years. Too bad the home & roof inspectors didn't really point this out any venting problems. They just said flashing for those vent's weren't installed in water tight manner.

And a side question, are plumbing vents easier or cheaper to install on roof? Just wondering why they chose to use those instead of proper vents. The house already has one proper bath vent and furnace vent as an example.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 100

Pretty easy for a proper roofer to fix and it should be fixed to keep moisture out of the fans and home.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 134

And not one of the vents were shingled around properly.
Way to much metal showing on the bottom sides.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #7

Thanks, I'm going to ask around for quotes. But I was wondering if I can ask what a ballpark figure the cost might be to make these repairs.

Couple hundred dollars? A thousand?

Also, on a related note, the weatherhead connection to electrical utility line & its flashing (mostly the flashing) needs replacing or a fix, as it leaks water to side of home on heavy rain. I figure fixing that together with the vents perhaps. Is weatherhead + it's flashing work typically done by roofer or electrician?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #8

By the way, went up the small attic and took some pics. I'm not experienced, but looks like the venting isn't exactly improper? I couldn't get close enough to all the vents, but looks like the stove range vent size isn't too small or improper? The smaller pipes I'm assuming are the plumbing vents. Can't tell from there whether the laundry vent is in this attic or another area since the laundry room was in a new addition adjacent to this but I couldn't see any of that venting in the other newer attic.

So it seems to me more like the vent connection on the roof is wrong but the venting within the attic isn't that bad.

But thought I could use some of your input here. Here's some pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4n64p0o8s...entInAttic.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u6bj99e0n...ntsInAttic.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oioz62c9j...entInAttic.jpg