Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
the Musigician

Share |

Additional roof vent installation

I realized a need for more venting above one room in my home, so I got 2 of these vents to install. I cut the first one in, but my question is.... what to do with the second row of shingles in the middle? Slipping this thing into place, the cutouts only go about 1/3 of the way down, leaving large gaps on the sides where water could get into it. The top is attached to the bottom at a "diamond" angle, if that makes any sense, so do I need to cut into the next row of shingles and try to get them to 45 down the rest of the way to 1/2 way and then go straight to the lower 1/3? Also, how do you nail the tops of these things without lifting/removing/replacing the top shingles? Just go through the top shingles, as I had planned and then caulk the nail heads/holes with roofing silicone (sun/freeze proof gray) I also picked up? Should I also caulk the outer edges of the lowest 1/3? These "instructions" leave much to be desired, and if any of you pros would like to do a "how to install roof vents", it'd be appreciated, I'm sure!

Thanks guys!

DM

Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Additional roof vent installation

Simple,,,Just cut your sides further down one course.Then slide the vent under the extra course you cut.Pop your nails if any out of the extra course you cut.Seal the back,,sides and nail heads.

I have ridge vent or I would pull my vent and post some installation pix,,,wait,,my neighbor is not home.Hmmm

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-19-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote