Adding Siding Over Brick - Drip Edge Needed? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

adding siding over brick - drip edge needed?

[/URL]

[/URL]

I have a 25 ft. tall brick chimney for a wood burning fireplace that is deteriorating badly due to water infiltration. I have just replaced the chimney cap to take care of the water infiltration. I have knocked off all the loose and expanded brick faces and I am cladding the top 2 feet of the chimney (where most of the bricks are badly damaged) with .75" plywood attached with Torcon screws in the grout/motar joints. I plan to extend the plywood down in 6" wide by 8' foot long strips from that top 2 feet of cladding along the edges of the chimney. Then I will put 4" wide by 7/8" cedar strips on the edges (on top of the plywood) and between those boards, 8" wide cedar lap siding like the rest of the house. All of this will extend down past the 2nd story gutter line to just above the first floor window heights where the chimney starts to fan out in width.

How do you recommend I handle these two areas listed below.

1. Where the siding installation stops at the point that the brick fans out, do I need a drip edge attached between the brick and plywood? How is this transition normally handled? I understand this is not a normal application that I am doing...siding covering brick up to a certain point. I am locked in to using the .75" plywood base due to the encapsulation at the top so all the siding is being applied to the same vertical plane. That .75" plywood and .875" thick cedar will stick out from the brick almost 1-3/4". If some kind of metal drip edge or protection edge for that 1-3/4" material is needed, please let me know how to handle it.

2. The second area of trouble for me is trying to understand how to work the siding and plywood underlayment around the gutters and roof line. Is it best to remove 1-3/4" of the gutter from the spot where it met the chimney to extend the "new" siding arrangement down or try to frame around the gutter? I'm thinking I'll need to cut out that portion of the gutter on each side of the chimney to make it look any good. Any comments on how to handle this area as well as the flashing area that currently exists would be appreciated. Also any insights on how to cut out that section of rain gutter...tools...blades to use.

Looking forward to any advice out there on how to complete this unconventional project.

thanks
Tim

Advertisement

Last edited by hardmat; 08-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
hardmat is offline   Reply With Quote