Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a roof over a patio

Newbie here, my wife and I are looking to put a roof over our big patio. We would be connecting the new roof to our exsisting roof off of our house.

Question is, what is the wood called where you can put a shingles on it and the nails don't show through on the bottom, which makes the ceiling look nice? I saw this on the lakehouse episode on Indoors Out.

etully24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by etully24 View Post

Question is, what is the wood called where you can put a shingles on it and the nails don't show through on the bottom, which makes the ceiling look nice?
Thick.

All kidding aside, I'm not familiar with any one product that solves this problem. Typically a finished ceiling board would be installed first, fastened to the ceiling joists/rafters and then another layer of plywood/OSB would be installed over that to give enough thickness so the nails don't penetrate.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Are you reffering to an Open Beam Celing.
Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #4

Yes, I just looked at the pics of open beam and that is kind of what we are wanting, but I won't need the big beams. How thick does the wood need to be so that the nails don't show? A contracter suggested he would do a rubber roof but I don't know anything about them, are they cheap or expensive?

Last edited by etully24; 06-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by etully24 View Post
Yes, I just looked at the pics of open beam and that is what we are wanting. How thick does the wood need to be so that the nails don't show? A contracter suggested he would do a rubber roof but I don't know anything about them, are they cheap or expensive?
Rubber (probably EPDM) would be fully adhered, so there wouldn't be any nails except to fasten the metal edging around the perimeter.

Depending on the rafter layout, it might be possible to hit the rafters when nailing/screwing the drip edge which would eliminate the need for a 2nd layer of sheathing.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Rubber (probably EPDM) would be fully adhered, so there wouldn't be any nails except to fasten the metal edging around the perimeter.

Depending on the rafter layout, it might be possible to hit the rafters when nailing/screwing the drip edge which would eliminate the need for a 2nd layer of sheathing.
Thanks for the info, Go Big Blue!