Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
slave to the house

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Adding granules to smooth modified bitumen

I'll be torching down the smooth type of modified bitumen and adding colored granules afterwards. I know this may sound like a crazy question, but is there a special tool to create even spread or embedment? Otherwise I figure I could control my heat, spread liberally, then broom off the excess, which seems to be a good amount of granules. It's only two squares though.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

KCnorthernCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

I have a n easier way to do it, and you won't end up cooking the surface of your sheet....have granulated installed.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
slave to the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB
I have a n easier way to do it, and you won't end up cooking the surface of your sheet....have granulated installed.
Aaron, thanks for replying. I'm fully aware of that. The problem is I need to match the existing terra cotta of the nearby roof. The local outlet sells only white in (pre-)granulated. They recommend post-granulation wth smooth black. I still have to find where they sell it -- the colored granules that is.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
Commercial Roofing

BUY YOURSELF A PAIL OF gaf'S tOPCOAT IN TERRA COTTA IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...DSCHOOL1.jpg"]

Click on the blue Marklund school link if it does not show you pictures.

iF THERE IS A SLOPE OF 1/2" PER FOOT AND ONLY AS COLOR CHANGE, YOU SHOULD BE GOOD. FOLLOW MFG INSTRUCTIONS

sorry for the caps.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!

Last edited by AaronB; 06-20-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #5
slave to the house

Interesting. Thanks for the mention and the link to your photos. I did some read up on GAF's Topcoat product. It's described as a two-coat liquid that's supposed to be sprayer-applied to build up the required thickness for their certified warranty. So if you're brushing just the final color layer, you're suggesting using it as just "pigment?" I just want to clarify. It may be a decent alternate to get the terra cotta, assuming the color coat adheres properly to smooth bitumen.

How much coverage did you get with that 5-gallon bucket?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Commercial Roofing

I do not recommend relying on this, or any acrylic for waterproofing low slope. In my opinion, the water permeance rating is too high.

For color, I would say it is a nice compatible product with the modified bitumen. I do not recommend brushing this product on, as it will tend to glob up on you and your subsequent brush strokes will pull it into "boogers". Spray applied at 1.5 gallon per 100 square feet should do the trick. Figure a little more to be safe. Follow the mfg. application instructions and you should do fine.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
slave to the house

Yes, so your suggestion is to use the Topcoat product as mere pigmentation -- sort of a super spray paint -- in lieu of post granulation. I will consider it now that you say it's compatible [directly] with [smooth] modified bitumen. Manufacturer's instructions, however, is for spraying a layer of "TOPCOAT base coat" first (as a sort of primer) then spraying the "TOPCOAT finish coat" as protection+ pigmentation -- I'm sure you are aware of that despite what your photos seem to show.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Commercial Roofing

The base coat and the finish coat are the same product. You cannot spray more than 1.5 gallon per square per coat for the 3 g/sq. system.

There are no primers in the system. The base coat method is so that you do not get blistering of the coating due to trapped migrants after the exposed surface skins up. Also, crackling can become a problem if it applied to thickly.