Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a deck with roof (a porch) to a 1988 stick-built house

I've just purchased a 1988 stick-built colonial-style house and want to add a porch 8' wide and 20' long. The house has painted cedar siding on the outside. My intent is to attach a treated-wood deck via ledger board to the rim board - which will (I assume) mean removing the bottom piece(s) of siding so that I can make sure the ledger board is appropriately attached - is that right?

Next, when I attach the roof (to change the deck into a porch) to the side of the house I'm assuming I have to do the same thing - remove the cedar siding so the top ledger board can be attached flush with whatever is below the siding. I don't know what is below the siding, of course. Considering the house was built in '88 it's not likely to be particle board or plywood, or even house-wrap - but since I'm not a professional I have no idea.

The house is in Washington state near Seattle.

1. Can anyone help with with what I'm likely to find (or is it a crap-shoot)?
2. Is my plan the correct way to do this, or should I be doing it differently?

Thanks!

Nigel

Rector02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #2

Going to need at least a picture so we can see what your seeing.
Is this a single story house?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

It's generally a bad idea to 'convert' a deck into a porch. Mainly because the weight loads of a porch are going to have greater structural requirements than a deck. If there's nothing there now and you want start with a deck, but know you're going to add a porch later, then engineer it that way from the start. Especially if you think it might end up being an enclosed room.

Otherwise you're on the right track, some portions of the siding are going to have to be removed to accommodate both the ledger board AND appropriate flashing.

If you're doing a porch I suggest you have plans drawn up by someone that can properly engineer the design to best connect to the house. There may or may not be structural issues in the house's framing that would affect how a porch might be connected. As in, there might not be effective structure to properly handle the load. It would be better to have that figured out before the deck got built, as that might be problematic to add later.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
jagans (10-24-2013), joecaption (10-24-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #4

Thanks, Bill. Yes, it will definitely have a porch roof, so I intend to make sure it can bear the load. I'm planning on post foundations every 4', digging a 2' hole, cutting an 8" tube form to about a foot long, and suspending it with 6" above ground level so that when I pour in the cement it can spread out below the tube but look good above. I'm thinking the size is going to be either 8' or 10' by 20'.

Attaching it might be tricky, as you observe - that part of the house has a gambrel roof, so to get an appropriate pitch I'll have to tie the porch roof into the gambrel roof and I have no idea if that's okay, or a 'no-no'!

Again, thanks,

Nigel
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

I'd put foundation along the front and sides, posts like
you describe against the house. I wouldn't attach it to the house. Build it 'freestanding' and just run the flooring. deck boards to the siding.
When you add the roof, attach it normally.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

You'd do well to check with your local permitting department about the depth required for the posts. In many areas they have to be placed below the frost line. This to prevent them from being 'heaved up' when the soil freezes. Putting a bell-end on the bottom of the post certainly helps, but not if it isn't below the frost line.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Thanks to both of you - I'm planning to talk with the local planning and permitting folk in a pre-permit request meeting - should save time and costly mistakes and put me on the right track.

In western Washington State the frost line for fine grain soil is 10", and coarse grain soil 20". The soil around my house is glacial till, so coarse. In either case 2' should do it!

Thanks again,

Nigel

http://classes.engr.oregonstate.edu/...rost_depth.htm
Old 10-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Roofmaster

I would recommend that you go to the library or Amazon and pick up a couple of books on framing, and how things are generally done. This should help you a lot.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attach porch, deck, ledger board, roofing