Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #1

Share |

Adding crawl space access and storage

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Hi. I have a crawl space access in my ceiling of my master bedroom, but it is not the greatest spot because I have blown in installation, and every time I have to go in there it makes a mess. [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']So I just cut a hole about 2' x 2' in my garage because there is no installation and I was thinking about storing things up there. All of the joists run parallel to each other so I had to run two of them perpendicular in order to frame the opening. My joists are about 24" on center, I have a truss system, ceramic roof, and everything is framed with 2x4's with the exception of a few beams that are bigger. I am thinking that I cannot put a whole lot of weight up there because of the spacing of the 2 x 4's and the use of the 2 x 4's. [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have two questions:[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']1. Anyone have any suggestions?[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']2. How to I finish the edges of the drywall that I cutout so that I don't get drywall all over myself every time I go up there. [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Thanks! [/FONT]

farmerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

stay out of there,putting a lot of weight on 2x4 trusses creates more problems than it cures,I would suggest you insulate it though,using attics for storage is a thing of the past,especially if you want to maintain proper insulation/venting levels

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #3

GOOD advice has been given,,,improve your storage space in garage area??? Build solid shelving etc. OR a storage shed out back?? Maybe seal up that access hole you made,,,is it a fire stop??? Build a box higher than any possible insulation for the inside access. OR rent a storage garage or have a garage sale?? basement storage??
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote