Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Share |

Add plywood to older house first?

In southern CA, older 1957 valley home with 1 x 6 slats and 3 layers of shingles on pitched roof. Is it important for me to replace or add plywood before adding new roof shingles? Two roofers said no, but some homeowners say yes. why? What's the reasoning for and against?

sll6568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

That will be way too much weight. You need to remove those 3 layers of shingles.

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'll be removing all shingles, so before I put on the new layer, do you recommend ripping off exisiting 1 x 6 slats and replaceing with plywood? Or laying plywood over the 1 x 6 wood slats? Or is it not worth the time and expense. I'm not sure why some think this should be done. So any insight you could offer....
sll6568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

I can see why they would want to replace those 1 X 6 slats. I have the same thing on my house and those slats were dried out, nails were popping up, much of the wood was cracked leaving some gaping holes.........I would guess that installing new plywood gives a sound surface for nailing. I would do it. In my case I tried to patch the bad areas and I would have been farther ahead to have just replaced ALL the roofing slats with plywood.........
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Probably don't have to remove the 1x6. We generally go over that with plywood, making sure to use longer nails so they penetrate into the framing. I would only remove the boards if they are rotted. Usually some near the eaves and sometimes near the chimneys will be rotted.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Probably don't have to remove the 1x6. We generally go over that with plywood, making sure to use longer nails so they penetrate into the framing. I would only remove the boards if they are rotted. Usually some near the eaves and sometimes near the chimneys will be rotted.
DUDE check your post count!!!
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
DUDE check your post count!!!
Ha ha, here it is for posterity.

On another note, I have always left the skip sheathing (that's the 1 x 6 slats, spaced about 4" apart) on and sheeted over them. You have the option of removing them and applying a radiant barrier sheathing on as well.
Radiant barrier is not a requirement usually for residential in California but it doesn't cost much more to get the sheathing with the radiant barrier coating on it than for the standard stuff.

Andy.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #8

I just did this on my detached garage roof. It added extra time and cost, but I'm glad I did it.

What was recommended to me, was to add 3/8" ply over the plank roofing. As mentioned by Sixeightten, use longer nails to hold the ply through the planks and to roof joists. Spotting the joists between the decking gaps is pretty easy. After a while, I started marking the joist locations at the edges of the ply at it was going down. This made adding the nails really easy with no "extra" holes.

Here's what I can tell you after doing this...
I wish it was done earlier. Tearing off the original shingles and felt made a mess of the inside of my garage. Lots of granuales from thE original shingles fell between the boards and into the garage. I'M STILL CLEANING UP THE MESS IT MADE. That won't happen if it needs a new roof in the future.

Another advantage is that it makes for a nice flat surface to install your new felt and shingles on.

Good luck to you. Hope this helps.
nil8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Doing This Way Too Long

As long as your existing deck is sound and there are no gaps between the existing decking there is absolutely no reason you need to resheet it.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote