Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

is this an acceptable metal roofing job?

hello -

I just had a roofing contractor finish a job on my house. 24 gauge standing seam roof. Now that they are finished I have had a chance to look at the entire project and found a few areas that are bothering me. Was hoping I could get everyone's opinion on whether or not this is above and beyond the normal wear and tear that installing a metal roof comes with. Should I speak with the contractor about this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-roof.jpg   is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-roof2.jpg   is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-roof4.jpg   is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-roof5.jpg   is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-r00f6.jpg  

is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-roof7.jpg  

Last edited by dozperroz; 05-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.
dozperroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

The no-caulk alone tells me they don't do metal roofs.

Can you take a pic farther away of that fourth detail? Not sure what we are looking at.

As far as the rest, these people don't know much about metal roofing apparently. That no-caulk pipe flashing has no business being on a metal roof. There are numerous brands of pipe flashings but I only use Dektite brand as they are far superior to any other. Either way, the gasket on that no-caulk will rot out within 10years and you will have a leak. They are for shingle roofs only.

Those deep scratches will begin rusting shortly. Not only giving an unsightly appearance in a short time, but will rust through long before the rest of the roof fails. Touch-up paint is a quick and easy way to fix it. The panel that they dragged another panel across should not even be used in the field. Or they had their tool belt on while working the rake. Touch up paint is not an option on scratches like that as it never matches the original finish and will really show up in the field.

Not going to be easy fixes for the issues there and, odds are your "roofer" is going to give you all sorts of grief because I have insulted his intelligence. But you can check any basic metal roofing spec all the way up to SMACNA and you will find it is not good. If he's never heard of SMACNA then you can bet you will have more issues than those posted.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 05-25-2012 at 05:47 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
dozperroz (05-25-2012), tinner666 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Here is the proper pipe flashing in case you are wondering.

http://www.itwbuildex.com/gcs_flashings_dektite.shtml

It has tabs showing installation as well as uses too. It's actually much much harder to do it wrong than to do it right. I don't understand why they did that except ignorance.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
dozperroz (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Thank you for the informative response, OldNBroken.

I have also just learned that they used Carlise WIP 100 under the metal, which according to the manufacturer is not recommended. What do you think my next course of action should be? My 10 year "craftsmanship" warranty will be void if I dont pay them within 10 days. Im very concerned and not sure how to proceed. Any advice?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozperroz View Post
My 10 year "craftsmanship" warranty will be void if I dont pay them within 10 days.

I have not seen very much craftsmanship so far. 10 day's ??? I would call your attorney and find out how long you have to pay.

I know in Missouri the customer has up to 60 day's before I can proceed with a lien.I am thinking that 10 day Blah,Blah,Blah is a scare tactic.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-25-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
dozperroz (05-25-2012), tinner666 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Oh I hate threads like this.

WIP 100 is a conventional shingle ice/water shield. I believe it has a granulated surface and is one of the WORST things you can put under a metal roof. Metal moves differently than your substrate so it's like laying it over sandpaper. Pull one of those panels up in two years and I guarantee you the baked primer is going to be gone wherever it is touching the roofdeck. Add condensation on your roofdeck (yes it does but normally it is a harmless cyclic event) and your panels will begin to rust from the underside.

Any ice/water shield under a metal roof should have an HT (high temp) usually at the suffix of the name. Or the mfr will specifically and clearly state it is designed for this application.

Your roof may last 3 years or it may last 30 years, no one knows. All I can do is answer your questions concerning proper installation and materials. Unfortunately from the few items you have posted here it is clear your installer is not very experienced. The problem with my area of work is that when shingle-bangers get slow, they decide they can install metal roofs. Unfortunately, metal is not as forgiving as other materials. Details are very critical.

I can't help you with any recourse with your contractor, just proper metal roofing techniques and standards.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
AndyWRS (05-25-2012), dozperroz (05-25-2012), Evstarr (05-25-2012), tinner666 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Metal Roofing

If in fact they did use WIP 100 then i feel your holding all the cards. You could, and problaby should require the roof be removed and installed correctly. Do i think they will do that, probably not.

If you have pics of the WIP 100 installed and/or know for a fact your panels sit on it, then they are 100% in the wrong.

Their ten year warranty is a joke if its installed over a granulated underlayment. That WIP 100 is bascially sanding the back coating off your panels and once its to bare metal its doomed to fail.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 05-25-2012 at 07:56 PM.
AndyWRS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
dozperroz (05-25-2012), mae-ling (05-25-2012), Roofmaster417 (05-25-2012), tinner666 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #8

Thank you all for the helpful information. I appreciate it. I apologize, but i forgot to mention that there is a ASTM 30# 36 asphalt felt overlay between the WIP 100 and the metal.

I am putting together an email to the contractor with pictures of my concerns. I will also mention that the WIP 100 is not made for metal roofs. I suspect, as you did, that they are shingle roofers that tried to do a job outside of their skill level.

What a nightmare.

I will give an update as soon as I hear back.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Doing This Way Too Long

Just read Carlisle's sell sheet on WIP 100 and it specifically states under "limitations" that it should not be used under metal roofing.

http://www.carlisleresidential.com/6..._sellsheet.pdf

I'd still like to know what those two flashings butted up to each other are because, for the life of me, I cannot think of what it would be
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

You didn't mention the slip sheet that goes between the felt and the metal to keep if from sticking and binding.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
I'd still like to know what those two flashings butted up to each other are because, for the life of me, I cannot think of what it would be
It looks to me like Gable trim butted instead of continous or over lap.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

I added a few more pictures. Hope they help. And thanks again.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozperroz View Post
I added a few more pictures. Hope they help. And thanks again.

Can you pan out and take picture #3 again and post ?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Can you pan out and take picture #3 again and post ?

This picture.Further away.
Attached Thumbnails
is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-roof4.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
This picture.Further away.
its on the corner of the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
is this an acceptable metal roofing job?-r00f8.jpg