Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

about to replace my porch roof

Hi Everyone,

Just bought a new house and am eager to tackle the new roof.

I went up on the ladder today to poke around and check out the sheathing.

This has just furring strips over 2' OC joists, a layer of cedar shakes (deteriorated), then two layers of three tab ashpalt - the topmost layer of which was completely shot, all rolled and buckled, with moss, etc... came right out in my hands with very little effort.

So, here's the plan:

Totally gut and resheath with 1/2" CDX (should i get the 5/8?).
Drip edge on eaves
Ice and water shield on entire roof
Drip edge on rakes
Roll out starter course
Shingle with architectural timberline 30

10" alum. flashing at top of roof where it meets the wall of the house
Step flash along end of roof on house wall

The things I feel shaky about are the step flashing, and exactly how to attach the dang shingles.

On the shingles I bought, the adhesive strip is underneath the shingle near the very bottom.
It has a line roughly through the middle of the shingle. I assume I nail above this line, and the other shingle just barely hangs over the line?

Should I just snap 5" horizontal chalk lines above the started course?

Are the ends butted together? Overlapped? 1/8" apart?

Where do I use tar/roofing cement/caulk? Along the entire rake edge of the roof underneath each shingle?

How does water not go underneath shingles from the step flashing?

I have all the material ready to go and am planning on doing this tomorrow (after tearing off and resheathing), so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #2

How steep of a roof is it and how much help do you have working with you?

It sounds like the decking is skip sheathing, not called firring strips and the bottom layer of Cedar Shingles probably, not shakes, is installed over the spaced board decking for ventilation.

1/2" 4-Ply CDX is good enough for a re-sheathing job. Cut the vertical joints so that they align with the underliying rafter, so that you are not relying on just the old skip sheathing to hold the nails. The decking will start to bow and the nails may back out otherwise at those 4 foot vertical joints.

Read one of the Bundle Wrappers from the shingles. It should show you the majority of instructions written on the wrapper. Otherwise, go to www.NRCA.net and register and then you can look at all of the detail drawings in the Steep Slope Manual section for better clarification.

Then, see if you have any more questions tomorrow.

Be safe and if it is steep, use 2" x 6" toe boards and a safety fall arrest system with ropes and a body harness.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #3

thanks.
its just the porch roof, a [retty small section about 40 feet long by 8 feet wide.

i was thinking of taking out the old sheathing planks and laying the cdx right on the joists. but maybe your idea is better.
if i do my idea, then is the 1/2" still thick enough?

thanks again. wish me luck.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #4

1/2" is usually acceptable for most building codes, but you need to check with your building department to be sure.

There is no reason to remove the existing spaced plank board decking.

If you do, you will have an additional 1" gap along the siding intersection to cosmetically deal with.

Ed
Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #5

hi man,
thanks for the advice.

a dang full day of it, got the entire thing stripped and loaded into a dump truck.

the north facing roof decking/sheathing was in fine shape, albeit riddled with a million nails.

the west face was really pretty badly rotten so i tore it all out. luckily the 2X4 joists are all in decent shape, except for a bit of rot on the tips down by the soffit, which is also rotten and broke off in chunks.

so, i have the 5/8" plywood ready to go and i plan on stripping the rest of that decking. no problem dealing with siding as i've already stripped two layers (they were rotten anyway).

i plan on doubling up a few joists, and inserting a few more strategic supports, then just laying on the plywood and "bang."

unfortunately i broke the crown molding all the way around, but most of it was pretty rotten and ugly anyway. so what's a good way to do this?
know in advance what kind of crown i will install, and let the plywood overhang by half the crown's width? that's the only part i'm not sure about.

thanks my friend.
ben
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #6

If it is old crown mouldings, it is cheaper to find a lumber supply that carries the newer thinner versions and pick a profile that matches close to the old ones.

Replace all of it that is in a continuous layout.

Sounds like you are doing okay. Did you pull out the gazillion nails?

Or, just bang them all in?

Ed