Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

8 year old roof needs replacing?

Hi everyone,
My first post!
My roof was put on maybe a year or two before I bought the house in 2006. I've been dealing with leaks at multiple places on the roof for the past few years.

I've had a local roofing pro take a look and he says that the architectural shingles have overlap that is in many places only 3 to 4 inches. He says that because the shingle overlap isn't correct, water that flows behind the shingle is leaking through the butted ends of the shingles below. He has also shown me where nails were driven right below the corner of the shingle that covers it.

I've spent the past few weekends peeling the corners back on shingles and applying sealant over nails to keep water from dripping through the holes. It is getting tedious and I feel that I have to run to the attic and inspect the roof for leaks every time it rains.

I've had several roofer come over to bid on replacing my roof and nearly every one of them has left me saying that it is a shame because the shingles are in great condition and that because I've got a ranch with a large roof, the price is going to be anywhere between 10-14K.

One roofer left me with a tube of Geocel (to get me started) and said I should try sealing the gaps between the shingles before spending the money on a new roof!

So, does squeezing a bead of high quality sealant between the gaps where the shingles butt up against each other work? It sounds like a lot of tedious work to do, but certainly worth saving 10K bucks if it works. Is there another way I can fix this poorly installed roof, or am I looking at a legitimate reason to tear off and start over? Thanks for any help you can provide.

NavyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

The home I just bought had a good roof, but after the 80+ mph wind storm some of the singles needed to be replaced. HUD owned the home at the time and the company that fixed the roof used a few different colors of shingles.

I painted my roof with a elastomeric roof coating. Most of the time they come in white, but if you find a smaller paint store they might put some tint in it for you. Mine turned up gray and has a tinny tint of green in it. The lighter colors keep the roof cooler and helps it last longer and reflects more heat.

My house is 925sqf and I used 25 gallons. I coated the front of the house twice and a single coat on the back.

1950home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #3

If it is so bed condition then it would be better to replace it.But you can go for temporary solution as well.I would like to see your roof image.
dvidcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #4

Had another roofer out today...got the same response as all the others..."man, such a shame, can't you repair it instead of replacing?" Most of my problems are on the front side of the house. Don't seem to notice any problems on the back. Perhaps their was an less skilled roofer doing that part of the house, or maybe it gets more sun that the rest of the house and the wood shifts around more.
NavyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,006

The sun is not responsible for this.

This was an installation error.

You are going to need to strip the roof. Sorry.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Depending on your $$ I would look into elastomeric roof coating. It should seal up the leaks. I would think you would need 2 coats the first time and a coat a year after that.
I would not get a new roof unless I know I had a few days of nice warm weather before it got into winter. With out it you take a chance of the tar strips not adhering to the shingle above it. With heave winds you could end up with an uplift issue.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,006

Are people really coating shingle roofs? I have never seen this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
AndyWRS (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

If your only having leaks on the front side then have it removed and replaced. So long as the rest of the installation is good, leave it and just address the side you know is leaking.

Fix the problem, do not apply a coating.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Are people really coating shingle roofs? I have never seen this.
I have done it to 3 homes that i have lived in and seen it done to about 20 homes that were shingled.