Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Share |
Red face

8 x 48 in soffit vents

We recently had our roof redone but several of our soffit vents were 8 x 48 inches. We need help in locating this size for replacements. Can anyone help? These are just plain vented covers to go over the vent holes in the soffit. Please help.

jmrausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

8 x 48 in soffit vents

Why did the roofing company remove the soffit vents in the first place? Can you post pictures, so that others can see what you are seeing.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #3

8 x 48 in soffit vents

I've never seen any that big, sure there not just cut out areas in the plywood with screening behind them?
A picture as suggested should clear it up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

8 x 48 in soffit vents

It is pretty ragged and needs replacing. We have to replace 4 of them.
Attached Thumbnails
8 x 48 in soffit vents-8-x-48-soffit-vent-front.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #5

8 x 48 in soffit vents

With those off it would be a perfect time to add vinyl soffit vents and wrap the fashias in coil stock.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

8 x 48 in soffit vents

I have the exact same need for this size vent. It is on a ranch house built in 1962. I have not been able to find various length vents. Need some 48" vents. I have thought about trying to buy shorter vents and butting them together but that is not the most pleasing option from a visual standpoint. Surely someone still makes these!
vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #7

8 x 48 in soffit vents

Those are way too big for 9 NFVA per foot of soffit: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Wind would enter one and out the next one if an easier path. Continuous venting as the link said, is best.

Gary
mae-ling (06-18-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #8

8 x 48 in soffit vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by vball View Post
I have the exact same need for this size vent. It is on a ranch house built in 1962. I have not been able to find various length vents. Need some 48" vents. I have thought about trying to buy shorter vents and butting them together but that is not the most pleasing option from a visual standpoint. Surely someone still makes these!
Thanks for verifying my need. My husband tried to cobble three vents together but it just didn't work. he is trying to fix the existing ones :-(
Pretty sad. I can't believe that no one can find these.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #9

8 x 48 in soffit vents

Thanks for the update. The house is 50 years old but the brick looks great, the roof had hail damage and was recently replaced, and I painted the trim. So everything looks fine except for these original vents which have been painted multiple times. House has been in the family for the whole 50 years and we never had ventilation or heat buildup issues. Don't want to tear up perfectly good soffits to install a completely new ventilation system. Just want some simple replacement vents!

vball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soffit vent, soffit vents