Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Theres more then one way.

Share |

4' T&G planks, NO staggering = POed home owner

Well...
The roofers came this morning, ripped off the old shingles to find that when the old roof was sheathed, they ran 4 foot T&G planks (??? why 4' ???) and too boot never staggered them

A home owner has to love a nice little surprise like that.

Option, toss down the new shingles and leave the bumps and dips and hope for the best, replace the T&G with 5/8 sheets (rafters are 24" oc) or toss the 5.8's on top.

Being i hired out for this, i whent with tossing the 5/8's on top to save a bundle in labor. If it was me doing the whole job (just dont have the time right now) i would have ripped off the T&G, but i just cant afford it.

While walking around, the current raftes seamed to be in good shape so i cant see the weight of the sheets causing a problem, only time will tell.

Question:
Will tossing the 5/8s on top cause any problems ?
Its a little too late now (on the spot decision), but i would like to know what im in for.

Heres some pics...

Attached Thumbnails
4' T&G planks, NO staggering = POed home owner-dcp_0859.jpg   4' T&G planks, NO staggering = POed home owner-dcp_0861.jpg  

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

Is the rest of the roof done?
Is this the garage they are working on?
5/8 plywood or OSB (heavier) ?

Maybe just an optical illusion, but in pics it looks like some of the T&G is pulling up? Probably just little pieces missing which gives it a shadow & makes it look like that

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #3

There was acouple spots where the ends of the T&G was lifted alittle (but your right about some slivers missing and shadows (them good-old shadows )), but they re-nailed that before they layed the plywood (they used plywood, not OSB).

Its a small roof, 4/12 pitch 20x40 so the one pic is just about the whole back side.

They are done with the plywood (i was out there 15-20 mins ago while they where taking a lunch break) and i can hear the nailers going nuts up there now, so they have to be doing the shingles now.

The first pic is the back side (which was not too bad), the front side needed some help.
Im gonna guess this is the original decking put on in the 40's - behing it was a 1/2assed job, 60 years later it dont look too bad (trying to stay positive ).

Whats your thoughts about laying the 5/8's on top the T&G (rafters seamed to be in good shape) ?

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
MJW

5/8 is way overboard. 15/32 or 7/16 would have been plenty. That is what we use all the time. Anything thicker is a waste and heavy. Anything thinner just doesn't work.

Tearing the old boards up would have done nothing in your favor. It would have been a waste of time. Hope they used staples or at least ring shanks for fastening.

I don't see a tool belt on that "worker"......
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
MJW

What about checking the sheathing under that I&W? You can't be too sure........You should get a full refund when they are done..... J/K
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
5/8 is way overboard. 15/32 or 7/16 would have been plenty.

I don't see a tool belt on that "worker"......
Ive never looked it up, but from what im told 5/8's is code for 24" o.c. rafters, if its not code its the norm around here for that spacing.

The "worker" was the site foremen - good guy.

Quote:
What about checking the sheathing under that I&W? You can't be too sure........You should get a full refund when they are done..... J/K
Didnt think to check under the weather sheild, being they layed the new sheets on top, dont see why it would matter. Aside from the non-staggered thing, the roof didnt look beat-up too bad, but ive only seen a few older roof with the shingle ripped off.

I see you where joken, but why should i get a re-fund, they are not the ones who did the roof orignaly.

Thanks for your input.

_

Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
MJW

It was a joke from a post awhile back. Some people said that a house was not inspected entirely because the tar paper wasn't removed. Some thought he should get a full refund.

Doesn't the original decking mean anything when it is overlayed with new sheathing? 5/8's may be a code, but probably only on new.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Doesn't the original decking mean anything when it is overlayed with new sheathing? 5/8's may be a code, but probably only on new.
I dont know.
There where acouple dips on the front side, i would assume if thinner plywood was used over the T&G, over time that thinner plywood would just conform to the shape of the T&G ?? Im not a framer or roofer, all's i can do is assume

Im happy with the job they did, time will tell if they did a good job.

_

Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Civil Engineer

I would not get too concerned about the weight of the plywood. Assuming 50 pounds per cubic foot unit weight, even inch thick plywood would only add about 4 pounds per square foot dead weight, and 5/8 a little more than 2 pounds per square foot, not enough to make a difference assuming the rafters are properly sized and installed. As for 5/8 versus 7/16, around where I live, there is very little price difference, and 5/8 is almost certainly code for 24 inch OC rafters, so even if you try to take structural credit for the underlayment, there is nothing wrong IMO with using the 5/8.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote