30 Year Vs Limited Lifetime Shingle - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

30 year vs Limited lifetime shingle

Which lasts longer? IKO Cambridge Limited lifetime shingle or GAF Timberline HD Limited lifetime shingle?
Do Limited lifetime shingle lasts much longer than 3-tab 30 year shingle?
The upgrade price difference is $465 vs $162, is it worth it?

Advertisement

Last edited by albertkao; 09-18-2011 at 12:25 AM.
albertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

So many things can affect a shingles performance and longevity.So many things I would not even begin to tell you which would last longer.If you go by the amount of time a shingle brand has been manufactured the card would go to GAF.

Compared to IKO I would myself choose GAF.But that is just me.And that is only if I had no choice of another manufacture.

Certainteed makes a 30yr 3-tab and GAF and I know Pabco does.

A 30 year is the same as a limited lifetime.

Will a limited lifetime Timberline out live a 30yr 3-tab ?,,,That is debatable too.It would depend on the installation,ventilation and insulation.

If you look at the design IMO the architectural would have a advantage over the 3 tab because of the bond lines.The architectural is a solid shingle along the exposure area.

Advertisement

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 09-18-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Residential Roofer

In my area the savings for 3-tabs on a standard home is a couple hundred dollars, thus the majority of home owners are choosing dimensional shingles.
10 years ago that savings was closer to a thousand dollars and the majority of people chose 3-tabs.

A properly installed dimensional will last longer then a 3-tab, the majority of the time.

The longevity won't change from one manufacturer to the other unless you get a defective batch of materials.
Being that every manufacturer on the market has sold defective materials before, you can not exclude any manufacturer based on that.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 83

The "lifetime" part is just the warranty mumbo-jumbo. "IKO Cambridge Limited Lifetime" shingle was the "IKO Cambridge 30" just one year ago.

1 may outlast the other, but I can't say which way that would go.

Laminated (architectural) shingles might last a bit longer than 3 tabs due to half the shingle having 2 layers to it, but that's just guessing.

Where I shop, XT30 are more $$$ than Landmarks.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdemon View Post

Where I shop, XT30 are more $$$ than Landmarks.

I found that out the hard way.,I bid and signed a job that was about 47sq. of Tile Red XT-30's.,I goofed and didn't research the shingle.

I thought it was Spanish Red from Tamko and it was an elite (25) nope.,it was the XT and boy did I learn my lesson of color assumption.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Master Roofer

Rewards Points: 10

Up where I live dimensional shingles will outlast a 3-tab shingle every time, assuming they're installed the right way. 3-tab shingles blow off much easier and aren't nearly as sturdy as the laminants.

As far as limited lifetime, that seems to be just a gimmick anyway. It's still the old 30 year roof.

Advertisement

NewHeights is offline   Reply With Quote