Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Share |
Question

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


I'm in the NW where it rains alot...and got bids for 30,40,50 yr . Ultimately HOW long will these composite roofs really last?
Yes I understand the 50 is supposed to be asthetically pleaseing which i really dont care but will the 50yr really last 10 yrs longer than 40 or even 20 yrs longer than the 30?
what really does the warranty mean?
THANKS!!!

ststst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by ststst View Post
I'm in the NW where it rains alot...and got bids for 30,40,50 yr . Ultimately HOW long will these composite roofs really last?
Yes I understand the 50 is supposed to be asthetically pleaseing which i really dont care but will the 50yr really last 10 yrs longer than 40 or even 20 yrs longer than the 30?
what really does the warranty mean?
THANKS!!!

What are prices of each?

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,580
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


I've seen tooooo many with fabric showing well before any of their 1/2 stated warranty. So, on my house, I used 50 year and expect 25-30 years life.
You can do the rest of the math yourself.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,384
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


My predominantly installed shingles are the 30 Year Architectural Shingles from Tamko, using their Heritage Series.

I can honestly say that the same version of shingles, which formerly were classified as a 25 Year Warranty, have been in place now for between 17-19 years.

The ones that had the proper continuous Ridge Ventilation installed still look like they are less than 1-2 years old.

The ones where the home Owners did NOT choose to accept the proper ventilation look their age, and then some.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,084
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Like Ed, My oldest laminates are barely pushing 20 years yet so, actually, no one really knows yet.
So far they still look great, 25 yr, 30 yr, 40 yr and 50 yr.

Most are on steep slope roofs and that really adds to the life of any roof so that kind of skews the curve a bit.
Like Ed says it all depends on the installation. A roof put on wrong is not going to last as long as one put on properly. In installation as well as material, you get what you pay for. Cheaper is not better in the long run.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
What are prices of each?
price difference (from the quote) is ~$300 more for 40yr & $550 more for 50yr.
ststst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


I guess i want to know if it is worth paying more for 10 - 20 yrs if it only gonna give me say 5 - 10 yr only?

Does it really last for the stated year?
ststst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,384
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by ststst View Post
price difference (from the quote) is ~$300 more for 40yr & $550 more for 50yr.
If the price difference is only $ 550.00, then do the math.

That works out to only $ 27.50 per year for the additional 20 years.

Sounds like a No-Brainer to me.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by ststst View Post
price difference (from the quote) is ~$300 more for 40yr & $550 more for 50yr.
So what are the total dollars for each option?

I'm trying to figure out their pricing strategy; they already know how long their roofs will really last and how many people will be making warranty claims, so they know already know the odds.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-16-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
If the price difference is only $ 550.00, then do the math.

That works out to only $ 27.50 per year for the additional 20 years.

Sounds like a No-Brainer to me.

Ed
i can do the math but if it gonna last the same as the 30 then why spend it? if it only gonna last 10 yr more then why spend 250 more?
ststst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
So what are the total dollars for each option?

I'm trying to figure out their pricing strategy; they already know how long their roofs will really last and how many people will be making warranty claims, so they know already know the odds.
30yr = $5495
40yr = $5795
50yr = $6019
ststst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,384
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
My predominantly installed shingles are the 30 Year Architectural Shingles from Tamko, using their Heritage Series.

I can honestly say that the same version of shingles, which formerly were classified as a 25 Year Warranty, have been in place now for between 17-19 years.

The ones that had the proper continuous Ridge Ventilation installed still look like they are less than 1-2 years old.

The ones where the home Owners did NOT choose to accept the proper ventilation look their age, and then some.

Ed
This is the key ingredient right here in my previous post.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ststst View Post
i can do the math but if it gonna last the same as the 30 then why spend it?
if it only gonna last 10 yr more then why spend 250 more?
Even if 10 years more were the proper amount of additional years, that works out to only $25.00 per year, or $2.085 per month.


If the job is done correctly, the shingles WILL have their proper life cycle.

Properly also means addressing the Intake Ventilation as well as the Exhaust Ventilation.

Now, figure it out, which one will provide the lowest cost cycle per month or per year for only a measly few extra hundred bucks.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 07-16-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Assuming this is just the cost of materials
30yr = $5495 = $180/yr of life
40yr = $5795 = $145/yr of life
50yr = $6019 = $120/yr of life

So, best deal for you seems to be the 50 yr.

But, if hardly anyone makes warranty claims (even if they find the contract after so many years) the best deal for the company is to use the lowest quality shingle for the highest price, let's say, 90% of the time, and this percentage is adjusted slightly up or down depending on business conditions.
In the unlikely event that they are caught they can say it was a factory mixup (oops!).

What you might do is get several bids and plot the dollars/yr of life along a line. If there is a cluster in the middle, this is probably the true cost/yr of life for shingles.
E.g.,
x xxx x
$0 $100 $200 $300

(turns out I can't plot this line, so imagine the first x is over 100, the next three are over 200 and the last x is over 300).


So for 30 yr shingles, company A comes in at $100/yr of life, company B at $300/yr of life, and three others are all clustered around $150 to $200/yr of life.
So company A is importing shingles from somewhere and company B is gouging. The rest are all bidding on the same job.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-17-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


---------x----x-x-x--------x
0-----$100-----$200-----$300

That works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_plot_(statistics)

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-17-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Default

30 vs 40 vs 50 yr warranty


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
This is the key ingredient right here in my previous post.





Even if 10 years more were the proper amount of additional years, that works out to only $25.00 per year, or $2.085 per month.


If the job is done correctly, the shingles WILL have their proper life cycle.

Properly also means addressing the Intake Ventilation as well as the Exhaust Ventilation.

Now, figure it out, which one will provide the lowest cost cycle per month or per year for only a measly few extra hundred bucks.

Ed
OK OK... THANK YOU ED!!!
If i put that measly few hundred bucks in an IRA @ 6% for 20 yrs it'd become $1820. BUt then - who's to say i'll get 6%??? who's to say if i'd get 20 yrs more? ANYWAY..I get your point and as you say - key is proper installation & ventillation for the ultimate durations in the shingles.

THANKS!

ststst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stonemark & Silestone Countertops......??? DepotDweller Remodeling 9 06-25-2009 11:44 AM
Shingle color and Warranty? sandyman720 Roofing/Siding 6 01-22-2008 12:46 PM
home warranty lasdekl HVAC 3 08-03-2007 05:12 PM
Standard warranty on flat roofs? Hushpuppy Roofing/Siding 5 06-23-2007 05:59 PM
Roof Warranty? Piney Roofing/Siding 1 03-14-2007 12:33 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.