Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

3 layers doesn't meet code???

Hey all, I just put a 3rd layer of composite roofing on my ranch house with a 4/12 roof in May. I'm selling the house and had a home inspection this week. He told the buyer that code is 2 layers and now I may have to tear off my new roof and start over. I'm in Portland or and I've been looking online to find this part of the code and can't come up with anything. Can someone help me out here. I did find on a "do I need a permit flyer" where it said you don't need a permit to reroof and a note that said 3 layers max. The inspector told my agent the code changed in 2002. Thanks for any input. Id rather not start over but will if I'm in the wrong.

1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

You are under the 2006 IRC and Oregon 2008 Code; http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...egon/portland/

The 2006 IRC says two layers only; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...2_9_sec007.htm

Your State Code 2008 says three layers: R907.3 (3); http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/orego..._frameset.html

Call the local AHJ numbers below, in the first link--- for any local amendments.

Gary

Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

This is from your state code.

Just as Gary said.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyGump; 09-08-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Took out picture of code, may violate a copywrite.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

I would be calling the HI to the "table" and have them point out where it specifically states that you cannot have max 3 layers.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

If I were a buyer, I'd be looking for a substantial discount from the price of the home if the home has 3 layers.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

Me to.
Now it's going to cost three times as much to remove them. Far more to dump them if you have tipping fees.
And far less likly to look flat, or stay stuck down or in place. Can also cause the roof to sag.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Code or not, 3 layers is too many. That's over 700 pounds of dead load per sq.

Last edited by tinner666; 09-08-2012 at 08:58 PM.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Roofing Contractor

Ya 3 layers on a 4/12 is just asking for trouble. Do you get snow in your area???

We've done many hundreds of 4/12's and never taken off 3 layers, done a lot of 2 layer tear offs but never 3 on a low slope roof...
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
JOATMON

Playing dumb here (I'm good at it)....but are you sure it's 3 layers?

I thought I had 3 layers on my house when I bought it.....I was looking at the edge of the roof and counting that way....In reality, I had two....I was counting the starter strip....

In your case, if you had 3 layers....you would have 4 shingle layers on your edge....starter strip and 3 layers of shingles.

Next question....did you do the roof yourself or pay someone to do it? If you did it yourself....well....you know the answer already....if you payed someone to do it and they did not point out the issue.....well....I think I would be having a talk with them.....you somewhat expect a contractor to 'know those things'....

On a personal note....in 15 years when it comes time to do my roof again....I'll tear it all off....yea, may not be necessary....but looks a whole lot better....and it's a good time to repair any items that need attention.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (09-13-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #10

Hey all, thanks for the feedback and code info.

Sure enough we are under a couple codes so I just emailed my city inspector for his opinion.

I can see your points about the excess weight and not sitting flat so this will be my last 3rd layer.

If the buyer asks I will tear it off and start fresh (not happily, but I will)

I did the work myself so no one else to blame and I think I can do a tearoff and reroof for about 2k so that would be better then loosing a buyer.

I should know the outcome in a few days and I'll post just for fun. Thanks again, 1

ps: without a doubt there are 3 layers.

Last edited by 1dumbquestion; 09-10-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #11

FYI- the total span of your rafters would be reduced by about a foot to two feet, varies; depends on the rafter size, shingle weight (average 2# sq.ft. per layer- times rafter on-center-spacing for sq.ft.), consult the rafter tables for the extra (dead) loads; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Older house, you are probably over-spanned already, before the extra...

Gary
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #12

Update:

So I talked to my local city inspector that had signed off on the other aspects of my remodel about my roof problem. He told me that 3 layers was fine according to the Oregon state code, he also suggested I tell the HI to "go pound sand". I do agree that 3 layers is a bad idea for a number of reasons but it looks like I'm ok for this time. I won't be putting a 3rd on in the future. On a side not my buyer backed out because of financing issues so we'll have to wait and see if the next Hi has anything to say about the roof. That's all for now, 1

The Following User Says Thank You to 1dumbquestion For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (09-20-2012)