Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

3 foot high snow cones in my attic :(

I need your help on this one... Here's the history, info, and pictures relating to my problem.

My house had a metal roof installed a couple years before I moved in. A couple of years ago I first found out that after a fluffy snow storm accompanied by driving winds, I end up with six 3 foot tall, 1 foot wide snow cones in my attic. When this first occurred, I went up there with a bucket and shoveled them out. This year it happened again with the recent blizzard, but I was not able to get to them in timw and the melted, damaging my drywall in multiple locations in my home.

So far as I can tell, here is how it is happening.

When they installed the metal roof, they took off the old vents at the top of the roof, but left the holes there for ventilation, and simply put the new metal roof over the holes.

What I'm not sure of is how the snow gets inside the roof in order to fall down those holes into my attic. (This really only occurs when the snow is fluffy and the wind is strong, at least that's when it accumulated to the point where it leaks)

Another concern I have is if it is getting in between the roof and the plywood underneath it, will that cause premature rotting?

Anyway, when I told the installer about the problem the first time it happened a couple years ago, he said he left those holes there on purpose for ventilation, and it's not his problem snow blows into them as he installed the roof properly as far as he's concerned.

So here are the pictures, my best solution is to staple up some window screen over the holes from the attic which will allow ventilation, but shouldn't allow the snow to freefall in at such a large volume, as it will hopefully pack up against the screen...

Any better ideas/solutions/help? HELP! lol Thanks in advance....

dkinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
DIY staff

I would call the manufacturer of the roof and ask them to inspect the installation---I am not a roofer--

But there is a big problem there--get an expert to find the problem---see if the original guy will fix it--

If not get it fixed and the go after the original contractors insurance.---Mike---

Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Tileguy

Did Mr. Wonderful remember or know to install ridge-cap packing or is that entire cap open on the underside? Bet it is.

Nice looking roof by the way.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #4

If he had installed it correctly, you wouldn't have snow in the attic. Guys like that give professionals a bad name. My gues is that it is getting between the roof and deck if it's getting into the vent holes that were left.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

MMmmmm Yummy.........Snow Cones...I bet you are a hit amongst the kids in the neighborhood,being the only homeowner to possess his own "Snow Cone Machine" in his attic.....Sorry I could not resist.

It obviously isn't normal for you to acquire mounds of "Fluffy Snow".Your roof system's function is to keep ALL elements out,,,Fluffy or not.Mike is correct 1st contact your contractor,then your material manufacture and if no luck with the contractor?.......,call your attorney.But I would do what you can to minimize further damage with tubs or buckets and anything to help catch any precipitation.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Ron, a poster here, suggested to place small plastic wading pools under the leaks for another poster.... The attic ventilation dries it out over time.(Temporary fix)

Gary
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Retired G.C.

It is hard to see exacty what is going on from just a few Pics.
Have you seen where the snow is coming in?
The first ? is why where those holes left there? Without a cap above them they serve no purpose.
Also why is the backing (the white plastic) still on the underlayment?
Was a ridge vent installed?
CharlieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

Thank you all for the responses so far...

From what I can find on the internet, it looks like this company makes my roof:
http://www.atas.com/Products/Roof/Ti...8/Default.aspx

Maybe some of you roof guys that have cad could check out some of those files regarding how it should be vented??

Anyone here see any problem if I just seal up those old vent holes?

Thanks!!

BTW If you need any specific pic's to help you see whats going on let me know...

dkinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Tileguy

http://www.atas.com/Portals/0/Produc...age%205-09.pdf

Check this out. The seals I was talking about I now know are called "top angle closures". Are they there. You can't tell from the photos. They are shown on page 3.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Roofing Contractor

No expert on metal roofs or the higher end "shingles" on your roof but I would look to see if there's any air gaps on the eaves. Also you may need to inspect to see if there's an air gap on the hip ridge and gable (peak) ridge. All three of these areas if not properly installed will allow both wind driven rain and wind driven snow to get into your attic.

You spent too much money on that roof to have snow get in.
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Love for Construction

We have a metal roof installed on several of our buildings and in snowy and windy conditions we used to get snow in our attics. The culprit was the ridge cap ventilation built into the roof.

Our roof is a different style of metal roof than yours but it could be a similar situation. The corrugations on our roof look like this: /'''\______/'''\_______/'''\, meaning there is a 6" or so flat spot in between each corrugation, then the ridge cap gets screwed to the top of the corrugation. Now to ventilate the attic they hold the two pitched sides of the sheathing and metal roof back from the top about 2-3" to allow air to escape under the ridge cap and through the 6" flat spots. The problem being is that when you get windy snow swirling around it heads right under the ridge cap. To fix this, they make a brillo type pad that fills the void under the ridge cap but is porous enough to let air get by, but it stops the snow. It solved our problem, maybe look into that for you.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Retired G.C.

Luke your are correct in the fact that there should be a vent mesh, (originally made by Cobra) that stops westher and insects from entering thru the ridge opening.
But also the manufacturer makes a Bird stop, that is supposed to be installed on top of the final panel before the ridge capping, you can see the eave bird stop in the pics, on the bottom of the roof, but can not see the ridge, to tell if it is installed.
But the question is where is the snow coming in?
CharlieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #13

Just a guess but it looks like you may have ridge vents extending down to the eave on what looks like a hip roof. Vents should only be at the top ridge and at the soffits. The effect may be the same as combining two types of vent where an exhaust vent converts itself to an inlet vent and pulls snow in. This doesn't normally happen with heavier rain. As I said it is only a guess but the location of your snow cones might give you a clue.I am tempted to joke here but your problem is causing you expensive maintenance issues and I am sympathetic. A beautiful house by the way.
rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckkrgrd View Post
Just a guess but it looks like you may have ridge vents extending down to the eave on what looks like a hip roof. Vents should only be at the top ridge and at the soffits. The effect may be the same as combining two types of vent where an exhaust vent converts itself to an inlet vent and pulls snow in. This doesn't normally happen with heavier rain. As I said it is only a guess but the location of your snow cones might give you a clue.I am tempted to joke here but your problem is causing you expensive maintenance issues and I am sympathetic. A beautiful house by the way.
Ayuh,... Bein' a 2 Year old thread, I gotta think it's fixed, or he's moved by now...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #15

Duh-my face is red doesn't go with my cold blue knees

rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote