3/12 Pitch Roof Leak - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3/12 pitch roof leak

I recently had my shingles replaced with similar asphalt shingles. Since that I am having leaks at the valleys especially. I contacted the contractor and he said he installed the ice guard 4 ft up from the roof edge. Prior to replacement I had no or very little leaks. Is there a solution to my problem? I have read about the rubber membrane but not sure that will solve this problem.

Advertisement

Pat Mulhron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

3/12 pitch roof leak

I always have fear installing shingles on a low pitch like yours.When installing on a low pitch as yours I ALWAYS spend the extra money and put Ice and water on the entire roof.I have never had a call back utilizing this practice.Also depending on the manufacture restrictions for 3/12 application I lower the exposure.Exposure being the amount of the shingle exposed.For 3 tabs exposure being 5" I will lower to 4".For arch's exposure being 5-5/8" I lower to 4-5/8".Since your roof is already installed and a complete reroof is not realistic then a proper repair is now the issue.If its not leaking everywhere but the valleys then this is my remedy.Florida requires a technique for high velocity winds that I feel in your case would prove successful.1st)Remove the valley and install Ice/Water.2nd)Apply 1 coat of fibrated asphalt roofing cement.3rd)Install a 90lb Awa plan.4th)Seal each individual shingle to the valley.It maybe extreme to some but your problem lies with pooling and back up due to such a low slope in the valleys.

Advertisement

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

3/12 pitch roof leak

Sounds like an installation issue with your shingles.
Don't keep focusing on ice/water shield as that is not your problem nor your solution.

Millions of roofs like yours have been installed without any issues long before ice/water was invented. It's not a magic bullet but rather an excuse for lazy roofing. Your contractor should be focusing on why his ROOF is leaking, not why his underlayment is.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

3/12 pitch roof leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Mulhron View Post
I recently had my shingles replaced with similar asphalt shingles. Since that I am having leaks at the valleys especially. I contacted the contractor and he said he installed the ice guard 4 ft up from the roof edge. Prior to replacement I had no or very little leaks. Is there a solution to my problem? I have read about the rubber membrane but not sure that will solve this problem.
Have you crawled into your attic to pin point where the leak is coming from?

The leak could be coming from a penetration through the roof like a gas flue or vent stack.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

3/12 pitch roof leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Sounds like an installation issue with your shingles.
Don't keep focusing on ice/water shield as that is not your problem nor your solution.

Millions of roofs like yours have been installed without any issues long before ice/water was invented. It's not a magic bullet but rather an excuse for lazy roofing. Your contractor should be focusing on why his ROOF is leaking, not why his underlayment is.
I think he is aware that he has a jacked install and his roofer might be draggin him around.He is wanting a remedy.And yes a bullet might be the remedy for the roofer.

True these are installed daily without problems.It does sound like the roofer is relying on the materials versus common logic and experience with roofing.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
OldNBroken (01-31-2011)