Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

1928 metal roof rusting

I am contemplating purchasing a new (old) home built in 1928. It has a terra cotta style metal roof that is rusting and badly chipping. It does not look like the roof is rusted through and there are no signs of water leakage. Given the age and rusting is this a seriously bad problem? How difficult (expensive?) is it to repaint a metal roof?

Thank you for any advice you may offer.

basilbiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:20 AM   #2

1928 metal roof rusting

I, for one, don't think any non-factory applied paint is worth a squat on metal roofs. They rarely withstand more than a year or two of weathering, they look like crap from the get-go (especially if not sprayed on) and even nullify the historical character, if that is the goal of painting the roof vs. replacing the roof. That said, surface prep, as always in painting, is the key to how good the finish will look and how long it will last. The two-part epoxy paints, available only from industrial/professional supply houses, look the best and provide a decent amount of protection. In my experience, it is harder to properly apply the two-part epoxy paint than it is to simply install new roofing panels.

A key question is, what's your motivation for painting the roof rather than replacing it?

allpraisebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

1928 metal roof rusting

Basilbiko, where are you located?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

1928 metal roof rusting

Where areyou located?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #5

1928 metal roof rusting

macomb Il
Old 07-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #6

1928 metal roof rusting

Allpraisbob,

Unfortunately, the roof style is a terra cotta style, which is no longer manufactured. My goal is to presserve the integrity of the roof and style of the house overall. Thanks for your insight.