Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #1

Share |

12" Fascia - too large?

I am looking to use 12" thick steel SIPs for my roof. This would in turn make my fascia area 12" in height.

Do you think a 12" fascia would be aesthetically too large? I will utilize gutters so this should help break up the area.

JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

12" Fascia - too large?

Flat roof, eh? If there was any slope to it, the cut off end, like a rafter, would increase in size.

Honestly thoough, I'm not familiar with the product. But, like the rafter, the bottom could then be cut on it's heel to decrease it's size, or the soffit could be built out in a way to minimize it's size/shape. There are ways to do this.
The 12" thick steel SIPs could stop nearly flush with the outer wall, then a soffit could be attached by ledger, or band, and smaller rafters to complete the roof line so the fascia can be 'framed' to any desired size.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

12" Fascia - too large?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Flat roof, eh? If there was any slope to it, the cut off end, like a rafter, would increase in size.

Honestly thoough, I'm not familiar with the product. But, like the rafter, the bottom could then be cut on it's heel to decrease it's size, or the soffit could be built out in a way to minimize it's size/shape. There are ways to do this.
The 12" thick steel SIPs could stop nearly flush with the outer wall, then a soffit could be attached by ledger, or band, and smaller rafters to complete the roof line so the fascia can be 'framed' to any desired size.
Actually the roof will be pitched 5:12

The steel SIP will sit over the wall by 18" to provide overhang/shade. There is no need for a soffit as the steel SIP is a complete package/unit. The soffit is already there once you lay the SIP down. It is finished in 30 gauge steel.

Here is what a steel SIP looks like:

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...9094cdd3/l.jpg
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

12" Fascia - too large?

Jack,
the ones I've seen done usually have the fascia built up in two or three pieces to create steps in it. Breaks up the big flat surface and looks pretty good.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #5

12" Fascia - too large?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Jack,
the ones I've seen done usually have the fascia built up in two or three pieces to create steps in it. Breaks up the big flat surface and looks pretty good.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks for the advice.

You don't happen to have any pics available?

The thing I like about steel SIPs is that it is a very strong structural panel and one does not have to have an attic. The 12" panel is R-50 and once it is placed on top of the rafter beam and the exterior wall, it is screwed down at 8" o.c. and you are basically done. You still have to put down a metal standing seam roof on top of it but otherwise no need for trusses or framing.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #6

12" Fascia - too large?

Jack,
I don't have any pics, but if you google it, I'm sure you'll find some. The ones I saw were just varying widths of cedar applied one on top of the next, starting with a 1 x 12, then maybe a 1 x 8, then 1 x 4. The wood was 4/4 thick though, not 3/4". Looked better being a little beefier.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #7

12" Fascia - too large?

great idea Mike,a single 1x12 can cup pretty severely and over time will likely split in the center

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-27-2012)