DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

10x16 eave vent intake - buy or make

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rald 
#1 ·
I'm looking at eave vent options for aesthetics and air flow. In order to get flow and keep some symmetry with existing vent holes in the wood eaves, I am looking at doubling the number of inlets and increasing the size of each inlet to 10"x16". The total net free area for intake=1240in2 and currently only have a total of eight 8x16 vent intakes.

I can not find a seller of 10"x16" intakes, so I think I could find grating to mount to homemade frame or find a stiff mesh that could be attached to a 10x16 frame. Anyone know of somewhere that sells 10x16 vents or have experience trying to make their own vent?

I am looking for tips on where to find grating, or what mesh size is best to keep out squirrels but keep flow, or how to make a metal frame to mount to the eave. A wood frame would stick-out a bit from the eave, but would be easier to make. I don't know how difficult it would be to make a more streamline metal frame. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
continous vent Vs. home-made franken-vent

Thanks for the thought. Going with the continuous system would also look better than installing 16 10"x16" home-made vents. I will need to replace the plywood around the 8 existing 8x16 holes and then cut a narrow strip along the length of the soffit to receive the continuous vent. The entire soffit/fascia needs repainting, anyway. Are any brands much easier to install than others? Are any brands less likely to be accidentally dented or fade than others?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.