1000 Bucks To Fix The Valley On My Roof, Is This Ok? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

1000 bucks to fix the valley on my roof, is this ok?

Call me stupid... i had a contractor from craigslist come take a look at my house, I thought he would do the roofing repair, but he got me a quote from another company. I am wondering how much a referral fee the roofer is paying the craigslist contractor (ie, how much cheaper it would be to fix the roof leak excluding the middleman).

I live in NW Florida and I have a roof leak. The person I purchased the house 4 years ago from had the shingles replaced in the valley between the garage and main house section. They went up about 1/2 the roof and about 5-10 feet on each side. I doubt the job would be insured for four years? However it appears to have been leaking for 3 years (wood rot and stuff in the base of the wall (where water ran down wall)
I get a bad? leak on the inside of my garage that caused me to pull out the drywall down the exterior wall and the ceiling inside the garage. I set up a temporary system to catch the leaking water. I can fill a 5 gallon bucket after a couple (2-3) of days of daily afternoon rainstorms.

From the inside I can see where the two OSB boards meet and water tracks down that space (on the bottom of the boards). I put a a folded up piece of cardboard to "catch/stop" the water and allow it to drip down into a 5 gallon bucket. I will add the picture tonight of the interior damage if it will help. Would a roofer fix the rotted wood on the exterior wall base?

before I opened up the drywall, the water tracked down the wall through a hole in the top of the wall 2x4's opened for an outside light electrical cable). The water appeared to pool down a major beam of the house and down the wall I described above. The wood at the base of the exterior wall is rotten (i can probably chisel 1/2 of it off. It is close to a 2x4

Can I lift the shingles and find the problem myself? Seems a waste to spend that much when I am saving for a new roof in 2 years.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...8_08260005.jpg

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...=1221435057669

Proposal...
Remove shingles in valley area
Repair rotten or damaged decking
Install Storm Guard in valley
Replace new shingles in valley
Clean job site and haul away any trash

Advertisement

astronomer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like he "may" be adding a premium on top of the actual roofing company's price.

Stay off Craig's list, and try some quotes from local reputable roofing companies. See what you get...

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Also, check with your insurance company. They may cover some of the repair costs.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

we have hurricanes here and I wouldnt want to file a claim to save a couple thousand bucks when my premiums would go up a couple hundred forever, or worse, I would get dropped (only insurer of last resort will insure me, many have pulled out in this area). I just didnt want to pay 1000 bucks now, then 10k in two years to get the whole roof replaced... thanks I will get more quotes directly from roofers.
I had been turned down by several companies (saying they will only replace whole roofs and not fix/patch existing roofs --- I guess they have too much work), lots of trees and lots of wind and tree damage to roofs when Tropical Storm Fay went through.
astronomer25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak , repair , roof repair , roof valley , wood rot