Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

Share |

1/12 sloped roof leaking w/ asphalt shingles, replacement ideas?

Hello folks,
I just bought my first house a year ago. I am still in the process of finding all of the little hidden problems that come with the house, and my rear porch roof is one of them. It is an attached 10'x12' wooden framed semi-enclosed porch with a traditional plywood/asphalt shingle roof. The slope of the roof is very low (1/12) so it shouldn't have asphalt shingles on it, but it does. Whoever put the roof on this house last (back in 98' according to the sellers disclosure), decided to put the asphalt shingles on it. The roof has lasted 12 years, and my porch is beginning to leak badly when it rains. What durable, cost effective alternatives do I have instead of asphalt shingles? I am planning on tearing this down to the plywood (and probably replacing the plywood), and I would like to know what my options are. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Tuffguy610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #2

Consider using Peel and stick on top of your new plywood, then covering with shingles.

Can you see if the water is coming through the roof? or is it coming where the low roof meets the higher one?
Can you see any details on the flashing of the transition area?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Too flat for shingles. Find some PolyGlass Base and cap sheet. It's SBS modified roofing material. Self adhered. 2 plies of base, 1 ply cap sheet.

Or, use I&W shield, shingles, and rebuild it every few years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
AaronB (03-16-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #4

JLhaslip: I can see the water actually dripping down the eaves and between the plywood. The roof isn't attached to another one, its attached to the side wall of the house, and the flashing seems to be in good shape as its not leaking from that area. Tinner, I like the idea of PolyGlass Base and the cap sheet. I will do some research on those materials.
Tuffguy610 is offline   Reply With Quote