Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wrong Trowel Size over Ditra

Good morning. I recently started finishing my basement bathroom as the next step in my basement renovation project and everything has gone perfectly until last night.

I have a small bathroom with a corner shower kit, leaving ~55 sq. ft. of floor that needed tiling. I had an unlevel concrete slab floor so I decided to go with Ditra underlayment and excess 13"x13" tile that my sister gave me for free. I read the instructions and installed the Ditra using the recommended trowel.

Here is where my brain shuts down. Somewhere in my brain I thought I read in the Ditra instructions hat I should use the same trowel size for whatever tile I was installing. Mistake 1: I didn't reasearch the right trowel size, which I now know is 1/4"x3/8" or even 1/2"x1/2" square or u-notch.

Anyways, I started cutting and installing tile with the recommended unmodified thinset. I noticed the backs of the tiles had pretty deep square grid patterns, so I would back butter the tiles using the trowel AFTER putting a flat layer of thinset down on the Ditra to fill up the orange squares. So two layers of thinset. I did the tile over 3 days of installation and just finished last night. As I was cleaning my trowel, I noticed Mistake 2: I was NOT using the Ditra installation but another trowel I didn't know I owned! And of all sizes it was the smallest size they make for mosaic use! And I had most likely used it for ALL tiles!

This is a VERY low traffic area, but I expect people to use the bathroom pretty regularly. What are my options? Since I used Ditra and back buttered the tiles am I okay to leave it? Or should I tear up the old tiles ASAP and redo? If I tear them up, can I leave the Ditra below and then just re-lay them on top of that thinset?

Cabrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Ok so what size was it you used?
Tap the tiles, sound hollow?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #3

Since I just laid the last tiles last night I haven't had a chance to go around tapping them. Also I got too depressed to really do anything about it last night anyways. But I know that with the level of the floor I will have a number of tiles that are hollow.

The size I used for the tiles is the 3/16"x5/32" v-notch. The Ditra was installed with the correct size trowel, whatever that is from the instructions.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

**Sorry, computer double posted and I tried to delete it with no success**

Last edited by Cabrios; 01-31-2014 at 09:28 AM.