I want to tile my kitchen floor and I would like some advice regarding the existing wood floor.
Some details on the existing floor:
- 2 x 8 joists. 16" on center with a 9' span (this is approved for ceramic tile according to the Deflectolator)
- Bottom floor layer is 1 x 10 planks set diagonally across joists
- Next layer is 1/2" x 2" (actual size) T&G oak boards
- Top layer is linoleum vinyl flooring (glued to oak boards)
I would like to use the Ditra membrane for this job.
- Should I just remove the linoleum and set the ditra and tile on top of the existing 2 layers?
- If I leave the existing layers, should I put a screw in each oak board at every joist? (currently it is just nailed to the 1 x 10 planks)
- I have to remove a section of the oak boards that are badly warped due to water leaking from a dishwasher. Is it ok to replace the damaged boards with 1/2" plywood?
Thanks in advance…