Will White Thinset Bleed Thru Grey Thinset In Kerdi - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

will white thinset bleed thru grey thinset in kerdi

Hi,

I am putting white marble tile in a shower that has a kerdi membrane. I used grey unmodified thinset when I put up the kerdi instead of white. My question is, if I use white thinset over the kerdi when I install the marble, do you think the grey at the joints or under the kerdi will bleed thru the marble?

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Advertisement

toolbeltdiva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbeltdiva78
Hi,

I am putting white marble tile in a shower that has a kerdi membrane. I used grey unmodified thinset when I put up the kerdi instead of white. My question is, if I use white thinset over the kerdi when I install the marble, do you think the grey at the joints or under the kerdi will bleed thru the marble?

Any advice here would be appreciated.
No putting white thinset over grey thinset that has dried already will be fine and won't telegraph through. Don't blob the thinset on marble tile or you will get a dice look through your marble.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

Hi Diva,

I'd be more concerned of the orange Kerdi showing through. It won't because you're gonna "burn" the thin set to the substrate using the flat side of the trowel, then apply more thin set and comb with the notched side. The entire surface will be the color of the thin set.

Marble tiles in a shower? Are you dead set on that?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
toolbeltdiva78 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Pro

You can also back butter the marble as well to make sure no orange shows. But like Jazz said it better, key in the thinset to the kerdi then comb the thinset after.

Sounds like the marble is already waiting to be put up.....
The Following User Says Thank You to JetSwet For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Jetswet and jazz,

Thank you for the good advice. I ended up doing the kerdi because my contractor had never worked with the product and was afraid of it. All in all, I think it went smoothly. But I watched lots of youtube videos an read a lot your thread replies jazz.

Yes, jetswet had it pegged and the marble is purchased and ready to be put up. I was planning to put the tile up myself after the confidence boost putting up the kerdi gave me but I'm thinking now I may not have enough experience after being clueless about what 'burning' the thinset on the substrate meant.

Appreciate the advice!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Tileguy

Diva,

Did you do a complete Kerdi shower prep or just the walls? How is the base done? Kerdi drain? Got pics?

What we're trying to tell you is that natural stone in a shower is not the best choice. It may be better with Kerdi, but still you're liable not to like the maintenance and appearance after a while.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbeltdiva78
Jetswet and jazz,

Thank you for the good advice. I ended up doing the kerdi because my contractor had never worked with the product and was afraid of it. All in all, I think it went smoothly. But I watched lots of youtube videos an read a lot your thread replies jazz.

Yes, jetswet had it pegged and the marble is purchased and ready to be put up. I was planning to put the tile up myself after the confidence boost putting up the kerdi gave me but I'm thinking now I may not have enough experience after being clueless about what 'burning' the thinset on the substrate meant.

Appreciate the advice!
Do you know what trowel size you need for the marble?.... How about your grout lines may we ask.... It's best to cover those here before you get some one to put them up or if you end up putting the marble up.

It's probably better that the contractor was honest and didn't want to do the kerdi, although IMO he should learn.... its a growing field in the trade. When it comes to tile every thing that requires thinset on, needs to be burned or keyed in this gives you extra bond and hold for what ever your apply to the thinset, and your notch trowel when you comb give you the equal coverage for the tile.

I'm taking it the shower base is done already like the purchased marble..... Post pics

Last edited by JetSwet; 08-19-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbeltdiva78 View Post
That's because he's using goofy terminology. The best term is "key in". When you spread thinset on your drywall you first key it in, then spread it with the trowel before setting the Kerdi. You do a similar thing when putting thinset on the Kerdi to install your tile. See my post on the subject.
How to "key in"
(Specifically posts #2, 3 and 4).

Back buttering the tiles isn't necessary for your purposes, but might be a good idea for others.

I go agree with him though that contractors really ought to be up on this stuff. Imagine, a homeowner taking a job away from a contractor because he's not up to speed!!

Last edited by jeffnc; 08-19-2013 at 10:54 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #9

Jaz and jetswet-I was afraid you might ask for pics. No i do not but it would pribanly be good to have someone take a look. I did the walls and my plumber put in the drain and floor. I purchased the kerdi kit and an extra curb, I haven't put in the curbs yet because I wanted to make sure there was good adhession of the product before I got too far in. My plumber installed a large triangle shaped mixing valve. Any problems with the kerdi seal going over that?

Also, read from a few glass shower wall/door installers they like to see 2x4 studs used in place of the kerdi curb because of the weight of the glass resting on topbof the curb? Any advice here?

I understand your concern about the natural stone and man ceramic or porcelain would be sooo much cheaper. Renovating a 150 yr old plantation house and trying to use materials that fit the house and look historic. I made these decisions thinking about how pretty and durable it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I've got little octagon tiles going on the floor so I planned to use a 1/4 x 3/16 trowel and marble subway tiles for the wall so using a 1/4 x 1/4 knotch. I wanted to have the thinnest grout line possible.

Thank you again and sorry for the book
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva
I did the walls and my plumber put in the drain and floor.
I sure would like to see pics, or a detailed explanation on how the floor was done. Sorry to say but, I'm still looking for the first shower built by a plumber that was done completely by the book.

The curbs should have been installed before the floor was completed with Kerdi. Not a big problem doing it this was though. The curb will withstand thousands of psi. The glass enclosure is nothing.

Are the octagon tiles for the shower floor and bath floor too? How is the bath floor built?

Jaz

Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #11

Jaz- good to know kerdi curb will work as I did not want to mess with the studs.

Floor install is not 100 percent complete. My plumber put in drain, then thinsetted floor and put in kerdi floor which i wasnt planning for him to do . That's where it stops.

I then planned to put in the curbs and and put the kerdi membrane over the curb and the base and extra kerdi over the corners and joints like the schluter systems shows on their video.

The octagon is soley for the shower base. The bathroom floor is 12x12 polished marble and shower walls will be 3x6 subway tiles.

There was supposed to be a kerdi corner shower bench my plumber was supposed to purchase with the kit that never showed up on the job site. Since he set the floor is it too late for a bench to be put in? Also, in all of the videos I've watched the showe floor tiles have gone in last. Is this best done after the walls and after the curbs?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Pro

Diva, how was or is the floor pitched for the drain?

Advertisement

Tags
kerdi , schluter , thinset