Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

White thinset and Gray Thinset, does it really make a difference..

I am about to tile my final room.

In my other room I used white thinset (fortified thinset Flexbond), as my tiles are a light colour tile. Near the end I could not find any white thinset anywhere of the same brand that I was using so I bought the dark gray one, and finished the last 10 - 15 tiles using the dark one.

I am still unable to find the white thinset.

Can I use the dark gray one for light tiles? Does it really make a difference?

Thanks

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
long island, NY

it's just an aethetic thing... technically, any color could be used. However, visually, pronounced grout lines will tend to make a room look smaller, and will definitely make the floor look different than a light grout.

Why not leave the big home improvement shops and call-up a tile shop and ask if they could supply you with white grout? we just bought a ton of tiles from porcelanosa, and they had a huge palatte of grout colors to choose from......

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

On rereading the post, it appears to be a question about thinset, not the grout. The post regarding grout is correct, that is aesthetic, however I assume your question is whether the color of the thinset may be visible through the tile. When we put stone tile in, my wife insisted we use white thinset, on the theory that the gray could "show through", based on a comment in a tile book we have. I find it hard to imagine that the color of the thinset could show through a 3/8 inch thick tile, but there must be a reason why there is white and gray thinset sold.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #4

It absolutely does make a difference - but only with certain natural stones, not ceramics. Some absorbent stones will telegraph the thinset colour after a while and I know of people who have wanted their floor taken apart rather than live with the grey blotches...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
long island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
On rereading the post, it appears to be a question about thinset, not the grout.
whoops! sorry about that. I misread
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #6

Thanks all for your help.

Ccarlisle, thanks for the advise, and you didn't even lecture me this time.....

I will try a tile shop and try to find white. I am not adverse to using grey but like ccarlisle said, I would not want any gray blotches in the future on the tiles. They are glazed porcelain ceramic tiles.

Thanks a lot y'all.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Tileguy

There will be no dark blotches in your ceramic or porcelain tiles due to gray thin set.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #8

Thanks Jazman. I just didn't want gray showing through the tiles in the future.

I will try to find white but if I can't I will use the dark grey.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #9

Wanna lecture??? Don't speak too soon, YM, there's still time! I ain't done yet! You were OK there for a while but now's my chance...

YM, I see you have posted over 1300 times on this forum and at first I was amazed since some great posters here have almost that many. Then, rereading this and other threads, I got a better picture of why it is that you have so many...

Here, you asked if grey thinset and white thinset were 'different' for tiling; two of us responded, somewhat similarly and along the same lines saying that it does make a difference if you are tiling say, a marble, but it doesn't if you are doing ceramics...then, at the end of the thread, you're back at square one, trying to find white thinset for your tiles but that you would use grey if you couldn't find white.

So, why did you post? are you a glutton for lectures? Your thought processes must make people around you lecture you too, no? See, you started off with the idea that you use white thinset. You were sure enough at the start so you didn't ask any questions then, but went ahead, I guess, figuring you were right. At some point, you wondered about grey thinset. So you stopped tiling, and got typing...

Two of us responded with what we know - but now you're too far gone to change so you finish off the job - using your original thinking. Fortunately, there's no harm done because you could have used either thinset for your job - but imagine if you had been doing marble tiles with grey thinset and you were now faced with grey shadows on your floor.

In that scenario, some might be tearing their tiles off the floor and starting over, hopefully having learned the lesson that you do the research first, not half way through.

But that's not what happened here.

Nope. Now you feel vindicated because (fortunately) your initial thinking turned out to be harmless so, now reinvigorated, you probably will continue along the same path in future situations (start, stop, research, proceed). All we have done is reinforce a wrong way of proceeding that ultimately leads to more questions, therefore to answers, and in then end you've wasted time because you state that you will continue along your original lines of thinking, instead of just saying "OK, thanks!". Next time a situation arises, you'll do the same thing: make your choice, have doubts, do some free research, go on - maybe changing your thinking for the next time.

Is that how you, I dunno, say, bake a cake? get an idea, start the recipe, turns out wrong, ask for help, muddle on through, move on to something else?

Here's a fact: When you get advice here, you get two things: the advice itself and sometimes - for free - you get the notion that "oops! my original thinking was off course and next time I'll research first, come to a conclusion, then test that conclusion, then apply the best solution". But if the people who give the advice see that they are talking in the dark and that their advice doesn't make a difference - guess what?

More lectures...and no more advice.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #10

.............are you married ccarlisle?

.....and curious as to how many times you have been divorced.......
Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #11

ok here is the thing. Yes grey thinset will show in some stone tile. Using grey thinset on Marble (porous tile) it will bleed through. The fact of the matter is that I used grey thinset morter on my kitchen floor tile(White tumbled marble) and now I have just realized the thinset has bled through in 2 areas(this took 1 year to happen??). Its not that big of a deal for me and doesn't even look bad...I actually had no idea until i just thought about it now. To answer you question though, use white and save yourself the hassle.

It's better to do something right then to botch the job and have to do it again.
Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #12

I am using ceramic tiles, and was having a hard time finding white.

I don't think it will bleed through, I have been told.
I just made sure that I cleaned in between the tiles really well, as my tiles are a light colour.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Tileguy

Yum,

Carry on. No thinset will bleed through ceramic tile. I've told you before...porcelain tile IS ceramic tile. Not to worry.

Quote:
ok here is the thing. Yes grey thinset will show in some stone tile. Using grey thinset on Marble (porous tile) it will bleed through. The fact of the matter is that I used grey thinset morter on my kitchen floor tile(White tumbled marble) and now I have just realized the thinset has bled through in 2 areas(this took 1 year to happen??).
What a crock of baloney!!!

Gray thinset used with marble won't necessarily bleed through all marble. It depends on the density of the particular stone.

Moisture (from the wet thinset) will however temporarily discolor most stones with a wet spot that will dissipate over a few weeks.

I can promise everyone that the above-mentioned thinset (if it was real thinset) did not spend the last year "bleeding through those tiles". It just can't happen. Once thinset is "set", (in about twenty-four hours) it isn't going anywhere and will not continue to "bleed" over a period of a year.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #14

Hi Bud, my favourite tile guy.......

I have just finished tiling and grouting today........

Not perfect, but pretty good for someone who has never tiled before.

I do have some lipage here, and lipage there, and sometimes lipage everywhere......

I did use the grey thinset, and I did clean any that came through, but on maybe two or three tiles, I can see right near the edge, where tile meets grout, where I did not clean it well enough and I can see a hairline of the grey coming through. I still would prefer to use the white for light tiles.

I am going to post some pics for you, but only if you promise to put on blinders......

I can kick butt now with tiling.......
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Yum,

Carry on. No thinset will bleed through ceramic tile. I've told you before...porcelain tile IS ceramic tile. Not to worry.

What a crock of baloney!!!
ok bud, you dont have to be that harsh...maybe its not the thinset then? maybe its just dirt that built up? But honestly when I was told about this bleed crap thats what I thought it was. I in no way a pro but but i just found this out recently so be nice.

Thanks for the info bud.

So tel me more about what type of stone lets thinset bleed through?? I have this mortar that is from mapie.I think Its called ultraflex 2 and is white. Honestly though I think it has sand in it. how would this be good for white tumbled marble??Should I use it? I used in on honed white/grey marble and it held up great.

Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote