Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

When tiling a new floor and the floor is unlevel can you still tile it for a toilet?

can you still tile and then try to level the toilet?

whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

When tiling a new floor and the floor is unlevel can you still tile it for a toilet?

needs to be flat at the toilet, some out of level if not extreme will still work. floor needs to be flat

Old 03-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

How do you get it level? Very old house and nothing is level?!
whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

What is the subflooring?
Tiles need a LOT of things to be right to install correctly.

DM
Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

what exactly is unlevel? one of my bathrooms had a good 1/4 ripple in it when i went to install marble tile. using a 3/8" trowel and plain versabond i was able to get the hardi set perfectly level. how extreme is your situation? if it's over half an inch i would address the structure. under than could be self leveled with some type or another of self level compound or thinset when you screw down your cement board.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

first of all and I'm sure you know you should have your floor level....but if in some cases it can't be done then when you install your toilet use shim to level it or so it doesn't rock. should be fine. If it is extemely unlevel then I suggest you make the floor level....if you didn't install the floor yet that is. You can also use a closet flange extender to raise the closet flange so it is higher and your toilet won't leak out on the floor...just a quick fix( I don't recommend doing this but it can also solve some issues).
Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

I just put 12" tile down in the bathroom, and four corners would have met right at the center of the toilet if not for the flange. They weren't exactly level (maybe 1/8" difference from the highest to the lowest). The toilet went on fine, then I slid two plastic shims under it in the back and its perfect. They're about a quarter each in the 'toilet-repair' section of your local big box store. That of course, is if your floor is already down. If it's not, I'd look into making sure your subfloor is built properly to support tile, as said above.
spidrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

shims are good. I used some old vinyl tile i had left over for mine...lol. Stuff works great...bend and snap!

Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote