Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

What's your tiling method?

There are several ways to go about setting tile - starting with a straight board or no board.
Starting 1/2 way up the wall or near the bottom.
Doing all the cutting while you go or saving all the cutting for last, etc etc etc.

What's your method to the madness?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

What's your tiling method?

I set a level ledger board one full tile-height from the floor. Since my floors aren't 100% level I start this midpoint so I don't have bizarre gaps where the tiles are too small - I'd rather have them snug, just right, or trimmed at the bottom.

I always start in the center of my area and work left them right with full-size tiles, I save all the cutting for last except for tiles that need to be fit around plumbing and so forth.

I start at the bottom of each tile row and work up - I never do from the top down. I did that once and hated it, the tiles want to sag. Little strips of tape don't outdo gravity - and it was a nightmare.