Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What's over my 3/4 advantec..debate

In a debate or over kill with my father. I have a new 2nd floor addition with a full bathroom. Currently the only thing down is the ¾ inch t&g advantec. We plan to tile, not sure with what but we want to make it thick enough for whatever we want in the near future. The question:
What goes over the ¾ advantac. ?

My thought was a layer of thinset and 1/2 inch hard backer..then thinset and tile or marble or whatever…some tile

My father…wants to add a thin layer of underlayment over the advantec, then ½ inch hardi backer

My thought was the underlayment and advantec would squeak.
Any thoughts

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,352

Sorry your both wrong.
How was the Advantech attached to the floor joist?
I use ceramic coated decking screws with constrution adhesive on the joist.
You go over that with at least 3/8 (1/2 is better) A/C subfloor rated plywood making sure the seams do not line up with the floor joist. It gets attached ever 4" of the edges and every 6 to 8" in the field.
Then 1/4 tile board set in a bed of thin set that gets screwed down with tile board screws. The screwing patteren is marked right on the tile board most often.

1/2" tile board is used on walls not the floor.

Tile board adds 0 streingth to the underlaymant, it's just there to give the thin set something to grab onto.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes Chip, (?) I agree with Joe, you're both wrong.

If you're going with ceramic tiles you should be ok with the 3/4", but the more the better. If you elect to add wood, do as Joe suggested. You can use either 1/4" concrete backer or a membrane such as Ditra.

If you decide on natural stone not only will you need the 2nd sheet of underlayment, but the joists may need to be stiffened. We can get into that if required, but can I suggest ceramic/porcelain and not stone.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

A big thanks to both of you! The advantac was glued and a different nail gun was used by my frame guy. I can go over them if needed.

So do I put anything between the to piece of wood?

And you don't need to get into it but why no stone. My tile guy is laying the shower pan, I'm not risking that. Said as long as we add some leveler over the plywood we would be ok. Just curious...

Thanks again you guys are life savers
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipraynor View Post
A big thanks to both of you! The advantac was glued and a different nail gun was used by my frame guy. I can go over them if needed.

The subfloor should always be glued to the joists too.

Do you mean between the two pieces of wood? The subfloor and additional underlayment? No you don't.

And you don't need to get into it but why no stone. My tile guy is laying the shower pan, I'm not risking that. Said as long as we add some leveler over the plywood we would be ok. Just curious...

Stone requires a stiffer substrate.

As for this shower pan...... Is it a tile floor shower? Will it be a "traditional" method? If so, you need a pre-slope under the membrane, then the slopped deck mud over the membrane, then the tiles. Is that how he's gonna do it?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipraynor

The weight of natural stone adds up fairly quick.
Your tile Guy is wrong as well since leveler doesn't get used here especially over plywood for stone tile you need a cbu board with thinset not leveler.

Nothing between the advantech and ac ply but stagger your seams on ply at lest 2ft from advantech seams.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #7

Jaz.. The shower area is down to studs and he cut the drain and tacked up the waterproofing. Which goes about 2-3 feet up. Then the cement board. On the walls.
On the floor is only the waterproofing right now. It looks like alot left over. My guess is he is going to slope, then add another layer, then slop again. We have 6 bags of concrete for a 5 by 3 1/2 floor. Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks again for all your help
Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Tileguy

It sounds like there is no slope under the membrane. Is the membrane right on the subfloor? Is the membrane attached to the drain? How is he building the curb? Is he planning any surface waterproofing? Got pics?

Look at this sketch and study it closely. This is how a traditional pan is done using a "mud" wall job. A few modifications needed if using concrete backer board.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1014343...67724695542178

Jaz