Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Lost..

Share |

What to use to put tile down

Hey guys, I have a friend wanting to attempt a tile project. His house was previously moved and set up in another location.

This is an older house, not a mobile home. His kitchen area and foyer area are both linoleum. It is coming up around the edges. I'm wondering what kind of floor is up under the linoleum, and I guess we will find out when we pull it up.

I'm guessing old tongue and groove or some sort of hardwood. Could be plywood too, we just don't know.That said, I was wondering What he needs to do exactly.

For the record, my dad was a tile man, and I worked with him all the time. He passed in 2003. Since then, there have been several times when I have attempted a tile job and been very succesful. The issue is that I don't remember details like what to use to put certain types of tile down, what not to do, etc.

That's why I came here to ask you guys. I will be helping him put it down, but I just want to be sure we have the right materials and go about it the right way. The house is sturdy and fine now where it has been set up in it's current location, but what I was thinking was using some crack isolation thin set, the stuff that has the elastic type properties to it..but I don't know if it is necessary.

Would regular thin set work here? He also asked me what type of tile to get. I told him from what I remember, ceramic is better than porcelain, especially for high traffic areas. He wants to get something that isn't so expensive either, because he has 320 sq ft (that I know of) plus more I'm sure.

I know many people here talk about using hardi backer..I don't know if that fits into the picture here or what. I know he didn't budget for it though. Like I said, we are not sure what is under the linoleum, so we will just have to see. It could possibly be plywood, though I doubt it. I can clearly remember pulling up linoleum with my dad, and scraping clue. I have a feeling that is what we are going to be doing here..Any hints would be appreciated.

Last edited by oh'mike; 02-09-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added spaces
J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Lost..

I apoligize for the jumbled up text. My browser does that for some reason on some forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Really need to go there and figure out what he has before anyone can make any suggestions.
The linolium and any 1/4 underlayment will need to go I do know that much.
Really need an idea on the spans, size, and spacing of those floor joist.
Most older homes were way over spaned with undersized joist.
Also need an idea on how flat the floor is. level is not as important as being flat.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JazMan (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
DIY staff

J.S.--Glad you came before starting----best to do it right in the first place--

1- Go to the flooring furum and you will see a tiling sub forum----read some of the older threads---

Here are the things you need to check out before you start----

Is the framing strong enough? Come back with the joist size---spacing---and the unsupported length ( Wall to beam or other support)--and a grade mark if you can spot one---some one will run a deflection table for you--

Next---the sub floor---is it strong enough and stable?--wood 1x6 moved to much so a layer of 1/2" or thicker BC exposure 1 ply needs to cover it---

After that----you need to add a tin backer of some kind to ensure good bond for the new tile--
1/4" Cement board---or a Membrane like Schluter ditra --set in thinset will achieve that---

Then you need a powdered thinset that is approved for your tile and backer----
That's a quick over view of modern tile setting for a floor---
JazMan (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Lost..

I'll just copy this thread and start it over there. Thanks. I did not realize there was a sub forum on tile.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
DIY staff

I'll just move it----