Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

What Size Trowel for This Glass Tile?

Hi all,

I am installing this Artistic Tile Coltrane Cream Satchmo Sticks tile. This tile is very thin and small. What size trowel do you recommend I use? I could not find any manufacturer specifications. They only mentioned using modified thinset mortar and unsanded grout. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Renovatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovatings
Hi all,

I am installing this Artistic Tile Coltrane Cream Satchmo Sticks tile. This tile is very thin and small. What size trowel do you recommend I use? I could not find any manufacturer specifications. They only mentioned using modified thinset mortar and unsanded grout. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
What size tile is it? If its say 4x4 then 1/4"x 3/16" v notched.

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #3

The width is only 1/4''; the thickness is 1/8"; the length varies. I am using the tile for a kitchen backsplash. Would a 1/4"x 3/16" v notched towel work for tile that is only 1/4" wide?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #4

You can go smaller 3/16" 5/32" v notch is used for mosaic tiles.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Bear in mind if these are see-through you probably do not want to be using a notched trowel. The grooves left behind will show through the tile.

And be sure to use a light colored thinset. Darker stuff would also show through.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99
Bear in mind if these are see-through you probably do not want to be using a notched trowel. The grooves left behind will show through the tile.

And be sure to use a light colored thinset. Darker stuff would also show through.
You can not use thinset with out a notched trowel of some sort?....
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
You can not use thinset with out a notched trowel of some sort?....
The idea is you'd be back-buttering the tiles with the flat edge of the trowel, and likely doing the same for a thin coat on the wall (maybe applied grooved and then smoothed). This to avoid the potential for any grooves from the use of a notched trowel showing through the glass. But only if you're dealing with tiles transparent enough for the lines to show through. While also avoiding too much thinset getting squeezed up between the tiles. I suppose with perfect application it might be possible to have notched thinset really spread out perfectly enough to cover the whole of the back of the tile and not also ooze out between them. But you'd still be back-buttering them smooth anyway.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

I would recommend a mastic/wall glue. Its white so if see through it wouldnt discolor, and it is less messy than thin-set. When setting it in place make sure to press it on the wall with something flat. I use my grout float. Check also for a pattern on the sheets of color, size, etc. you would want to repeat it if it does.
darobi2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #9

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. The manufacturer does mention back butter for the installation. If you do back butter, do you only put thinset on the back of the tile and not the wall or do you back butter the tile and put thinset on the walll? Wkearney99 mentioned putting a light coat on the wall as well. These tiles do not appear to be see through. The manufacturer also specifies only white thinset. They recommended Kerabond white thinset mortar with a latex additive (keralastic?). I live in NJ and cannot find a retailer anywhere near me that sells Kerabond; only distributors.

Any links for the mastic/wall glue?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I would recommend a mastic/wall glue.
Nonsense!! Never use mastic for glass. Who said that anyway?

A few of the people who replied didn't bother to go to the link where it tells us the thickness of the tiles and to backbutter the thin set to the tiles.

1/4x3/16" trowel is too big. 3/16x5/32 (if there is such a thing), is also too big. I would go with 1/8" square or V and I would probably also flatten the grooves and of course backbutter.

Of course use white thin set, there is no option.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #11

Thanks JazMan. Just to review if I have this right:

1) 1/8" square or V trowel
2) Layer of thinset on the wall (flatten the grooves)
3) And back butter the tiles as well

One final question. The manufacturer wanted a modified white thin set with latex additive. I asked the guy at Home Depot about this and he had nothing with a latex additive. Could I use just regular white thin set? The modified white thin set with latex has proven difficult to find around NJ. I would have to buy a 50 pound bag from a distributor and mix it myself. My project is only 16 SF. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Nonsense!! Never use mastic for glass. Who said that anyway?

A few of the people who replied didn't bother to go to the link where it tells us the thickness of the tiles and to backbutter the thin set to the tiles.

1/4x3/16" trowel is too big. 3/16x5/32 (if there is such a thing), is also too big. I would go with 1/8" square or V and I would probably also flatten the grooves and of course backbutter.

Of course use white thin set, there is no option.

Jaz
Why wouldn't you? I have installed many with it, and 1) it sticks very well, and 2) its white just like the white thin set. I am always lookin to learn here, and appreciate your knowledge Jazman.
darobi2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovatings View Post
Thanks JazMan. Just to review if I have this right:

1) 1/8" square or V trowel
2) Layer of thinset on the wall (flatten the grooves)
3) And back butter the tiles as well

One final question. The manufacturer wanted a modified white thin set with latex additive. I asked the guy at Home Depot about this and he had nothing with a latex additive. Could I use just regular white thin set? The modified white thin set with latex has proven difficult to find around NJ. I would have to buy a 50 pound bag from a distributor and mix it myself. My project is only 16 SF. Thanks again.
1,2 & 3 sound just fine, but be prepared to tweek #1 as necessary. Depending on how you mix the thin set and how you hold the trowel, you may have to go with an even smaller trowel. Remember #3 is just a film, no real amount at all.

The manufacturer specified one of the best thin set on earth. There are many pre-blended modified thin sets that are also rated for glass, but either way you have to mix it. As far as not being able to find the good stuff...... you're just by habit shopping at the wrong places...perhaps.

Quote:
I would have to buy a 50 pound bag from a distributor and mix it myself.
Ok....and what's wrong with that? Thin set comes in #50 bags. Smaller bags are available but not that much cheaper if you can find it.

darobi,

Please tell us which glass tile manufacturer says it's ok to use mastic? And, which mastic says it's fine with glass tiles. If you've done it many times, best not to tell anyone.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

Is Latex-modified white thin set the same thing as Polymer-modified white thin set?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovatings
Is Latex-modified white thin set the same thing as Polymer-modified white thin set?
Yes it's called fortified thinset has latex polymers in it. You can also buy the milk mix to add to regular modified thinset which will make it fortified.