Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Share |

What should be under my tile

OK I have read some posts on here but I haven't found one that completely matches my flooring. It seems like there is a lot of good information on here so I thought I would try and get some advice. My end goal is to put 12x24 porcelain tiles in my kitchen during a remodel. We plan on replacing all of the cabinets and while they are out running the tile all the way across the floor. What we have now is 3/4 plywood then a layer of linoleum glued down directly to that, then a layer of luan stapled down all over, then a layer of thick (around 1/4" thick) floor tiles glued down to the luan.

So the question is what is the best course of action to get a solid base for the tile. Should I remove everything all the way down to the plywood. I tried a small spot and it looks like the backing is solidly attached to the wood and wont be very easy to remove, and scraping is almost impossible due to all the staples.

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ZombieZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Need to know what's under the floor, the width of the floor joist, the spacing, the length of the free spans.
And your right all the 1/4" the linolium and anything else to the 3/4" needs to go.
Several things, that floor is going to have to be perfectly flat and have 0 deflection to use tiles that size.
There is no need to run the tiles under the cabinets. Waste of tiles and how would someone ever change the tiles if there run under them?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
DIY staff

Joe is right about the deflection--(exaggerate a bit) --we will run the span chart for you if you get us the joist size and unsupported length---

I do disagree about laying the tile under the cabinets---I prefer tile under the cabinets----faster install--neater--no grout line at the cabinets----no chance of damaging the cabinets while installing the tile.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #4

The Floor Joists (2x10 looks like pine) are 16" appart and the span they run in the basement is 13' from the outside wall to an I beam that runs across the house.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
DIY staff

You should be fine for tile, but not for a natural stone---

Your deflection is 458----360 is fine for ceramic----720 is needed for stone---

Add 1/2" or more BC exposure one plywood on top of the 3/4"---then add 1/4" Durrock set into a bed of fresh thinset and nailed or screwed---

Or use Ditra--

If self leveling compound is needed to achieve a flat floor---do that after the Durrock.

Those huge tiles will be easiest to install without lippage if you use a leveling clip---Lash by QEP works well----Mike-----
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #6

I don't think I know what you mean by BC exposure, but if I understand the rest correctly after I strip everything down I should lay another 1/2" layer of plywood down to use as my base layer. I planned on going with Ditra as my underlayment of choice. I have never put in tile before ,but there is a first time for everything right.

I thought of one more thing after I pull up all the Luan am OK with just pounding in all the staples and peeling up the first layer of sheet linoleum and just leaving the paper backing down as long as it is fairly uniform, and put the next layer of plywood over it? I don't think I will be able to get that stuff up very easily.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

http://www.plywoodcompany.com/applic...=149&itemid=23
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
DIY staff

BC is the finished surface---b good--c --some patched knots---exposure one----exterior glue----
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
DIY staff

Scrape off as much as you can ,of the old paper backing--then add the new bc plywood----
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Tileguy

Zombie,

In your first post you said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie
What we have now is 3/4 plywood then a layer of linoleum glued down directly to that, then a layer of luan stapled down all over, then a layer of thick (around 1/4" thick) floor tiles glued down to the luan.
I have this suspicion that the first layer of linoleum is also glued to 1/4" ply and not the subfloor. In the event the linoleum is laid on the subfloor, it's possible that it was installed using the perimi-floor system and is not glued at all.

You then said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie
I tried a small spot and it looks like the backing is solidly attached to the wood and wont be very easy to remove, and scraping is almost impossible due to all the staples.
You didn't explain which wood and why you would be scrapping a floor that is over a layer of ply that is stapled down. If it's stapled, it's most likely 1/4" ply or luan that needs to be at your curb.

ODDS & ENDS;

In the link to the proper underlayment above, I know you're using 1/2" or thicker, but since the title says 1/4" I want to mention for others that 1/4" should not be used in a tile installation sandwich.

There is no such thing as 1/4" Durock. The thin one is 5/16" and ends up about 3/8" or so once installed because of the thinset under it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #11

OK sounds good. Should I put something on the back of the 1/2 BC plywood like liquid nails sub floor adhesive or something like that to make sure it bonds completely.

I also saw some pictures where someone put a sheet of plywood down before they tiled and they had screws every 4 inches or so along the joists. Is that recommended or was that overkill?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Tileguy

What sounds good?

You do not glue plywood underlayment down, just fasteners. Use fasteners long enough to to thru the subfloor only, do not fasten into the joists.

The fastening schedule depends on the type and thickness of the new ply. You also said;
Quote:
screws every 4 inches or so along the joists.
You meant along the joints right?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #13

No, the picture I saw this guy had screws going down what appeared to be the the lines of the joists, not just at the edges. It seemed like a huge amount of screws.

So I should just fasten the new 1/2" plywood to the 3/4" plywood along the edges with deck screws that are 1 1/4" that way they don't hit the joists and only screw it down around the edge of the sheets.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #14

It's every 4" on the edges and every 6 to 8" in the field.
Yes that's a lot of fastners but it has to be done.
I use a narrow crown pneumatic staple gun when do this. Set in automatic I can do a whole sheet in just over 1 min.
You could also use underlayment nails, there ring shanked nails.