Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Share |

What to look for in a wet saw, amps, watts, rpm, overhead?

I need a wet saw. renting is too costly compared to buying and when this job is finished, Ha ha ha, if this job is finished, then will need it again for a second bath.

I know many of you would never use some real expensive or hard to find unit but I need probably $250 max. given that what are the important things to look for.
Tried a Ryobi benchtop (I have good luck with Ryobi, got a dewalt cordless drill in between two Ryobi's and am dissapointed in the dewalt) anyway brand arguments asside. It is chipping porcelain tiles. Chipping enough I can see it and dont like it . Also these are what I call quasi porcelain from Lowes. Looks like an overlay.
so I got a better blade, I thought, than the one that came with the saw. It cost $40 or 50. If I go real slow, again REAL slow and if it will slide smoothly enough along the table top to go steady and slow it does prettty well. Seems excessively slow. and sliding is diff sometimes.

I was thinking maybe more rpms in a diff saw? and or one where the table slides as in overhead?

papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

With that budget, I would search around local pawn shops.
There are many good brands. I like the MK line, we have a 101, bought it used 10 years ago, put another million miles on it and still works great. All parts are serviceable.
We have replaced the motor once, switch.... Still a great saw and we use it a lot.

With the economy like it is, a lot of work is slow, lot of contractors pawning tools.
About 2 years ago, I saw a MK101 in a pawn shop for $300. Looked cleaner, and like it had less miles on it then the one we use.
You might get lucky and find a Professional grade saw that will last you a lifetime and can still sell it for what you paid when done.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Thanks pawn shops might be a good place to buy.
Still what is important motor strength ?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

Also check on Craigs list.com.
The one I used for many years came from Lowes it was a bridge style saw and worked great. I've since sold it and it was still working great, All I remember was it was yellow, and it was not a Dewalt.
http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...t-tile-saw.php

One tip I've used when deciding on a tool is to check on Amazon.com Look at the listing then look toward the bottom for comments from people who own one.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

I appreciate the comments but was realy hoping to get the important features. as the lower priced common ones have an rpm of 3450 and looking at some higher priced units and some MK models I noticed they had twic or more RPM so I deduced that was a deciding factor. Untill....looking some others and even more MK has many models that some others have mentioned, and those models only have 3450 Rpm. ????

I thought it made sense that as long as the motor is strong enough, and seems most are, that the faster the blade turned the faster and smoother it would cut. but then I found several either high priced or the "it" brand MK having the slower rpms. what with that?

Now I have long since realized my tiles are not real porcelain (no wonder they sell em for less than others) and that could be part of the difficulty in getting a smooth chip free cut but other than that what is it.
I am about to put lots of money into a wet saw that I wll use again for another bath at least but if it is not necessary or wont give substantial satisfaction, I dont want to do it. If it were a table saw, eh, I would do it easily. I will get great joy and use from that for the resst of my life.
$300 for a couple jobs seems high, might do more work dunno but seems like a lot of money. Will save that I am sure over paying someone.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
DIY staff

The first thing--the blade---and the tile---some tile just chips---some blades just chip---a misalighned blade will chip----

what you are cutting makes all the difference in selecting the right saw----I like a bridge saw for larger tiles---I have a MK 101 for complicated cuts----and an angle grinder for odd ball cuts---

How big are the tiles? Any Mosaic involved?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

12 inch porcelain and some six no mosaics
Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #8

You say "I have a MK 101 "

That is not high rpm on that unit. So is rpm nothing? I dont understand why they have high and low. if the rpm is not important than minimum motor power is?
With my little experience I would also think the table, how easily the tile will glide across.

Last edited by papason; 11-15-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: oops
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
DIY staff

You need to look at the different styles of saw----table saw type cutters are inexpensive and can deliver a good cut--but will yield a lot of chipping---it's hard to slide a tile perfectly without the ocasional twist---so 'show cuts' are a pain to achieve--

Bridge saws are wonderful for making long straight cuts and perfect miters----but are not so good at the zig zag cuts that are often needed---better bridge saws have a plunger cutting head---but a homeowner would not be likely to spent the big bucks for a model of that caliber.

Over head saws with a sliding table are the work horses of the industry----that Old MK 101 of mine has cut a few tons of tile in the 20 years I've had it----I saw no reason to add another saw to the collection until the huge tiles became popular--Now my bridge saw goes on all jobs.

An angle grinder with a diamond blade is also a helpful tool----although not a necessity.

High quality blades and tuning up the machine so the blade and table--fence==or other guides are perfectly aligned is key to good clean cuts---

Hope this helped a little----Mike----
papason (11-16-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
DIY staff

I'm not analytical sort---so this simple observation on saw speeds and horse power---

If the blade is spinning to fast it can get hot--warp and cause expensive trouble----

If the motor is not powerful enough you will stall the blade regularly----

remember the blade is doing the work----buy a high quality one if you have a lot of 'show cuts'---otherwise some chipping is not a big concern---the trim will be covering it---

proper alignment is critical----a higher quality unit is easier to set up and will stay true longer---

cheaper units use light duty bearings----not a concern for occasional use but a deal breaker if you are making a living with the machine----

Pro machines--Target--MK---Husquevarna--Imer are tough and can take years of abuse---so a second hand one might be worth looking at---

Good water pumps are expensive----bare that in mind when looking at used machines---or homeowner quality new machines----
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
DIY staff

Blades-----different blades for granite--porcelain --ceramic and marble-----

Your blade is a steel disk with bronze edge/diamond chips----

The Constancy of the bronze and the grit size of the diamonds makes the difference --

the bronze must be worn away to expose fresh diamonds----for that you need grit from the cutting process.

Softer materials like ceramic--concrete release a lot of grit---allowing the use of hard bronze----

Granite blades use a softer bronze---they wear out fast--don't use a granite blade for soft material.

Hard materials like granite produce very fine grit and may not wear away the bronze fast enough to expose fresh diamonds----resulting in a glazed blade---when that happens a dressing block is used to wear away the bronze.

Or do what I do and use an old brick----------