Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Doozer

Share |

What grout to use?

I am putting down 16" tile on an outdoor deck. It is going over TI-Proboard (http://tileyourdeck.com) which is over joists on 12" centers. The surface seems to have the same or less flex than the 3/4" plywood and 1/4" hardi board that I used on another deck a couple of years ago and that one has held up very well with no cracking at all.

My question is what grout to use. I used epoxy grout on that previous deck. I love epoxy for its toughness and flexibility. I keep gallons of penetrating epoxies and tubs of the various epoxy putties and big bottles of the 5 minute stuff and so on. But I sure did hate the experience of putting epoxy grout on my deck!

Never-the-less, I was going to buy a bunch more epoxy grout for the three times larger deck project I've got going now. But when I went to the Home Depot they didn't carry it anymore. Instead they have Fusion Pro Single Component Grout.

It claims to be easy to use and clean up, but the instructions for use on the can are pretty complex.

So how does it compare to epoxy?

Is it really easier to use and clean up after than epoxy?

Is it as tough and flexible as epoxy?

Will it fade in the sun?

Any usage hints would be greatly appreciated.

If the consensus is against this stuff, I'll trek down to Lowe's and see if they carry epoxy grout.

Thanks!

FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

What grout to use?

It would be interesting to see the replies from people who have used the epoxy grout and the Fusion stuff from HD.

In the meantime, I would suggest using the time tested material.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Doozer

What grout to use?

If by the time tested material you mean epoxy grout, I am very happy with how it held up. Unfortunately it was so difficult to spread quickly and really get it down in the cracks that my shoulder still hurts after two years. I'll use it if I must, but I hope to hear from someone who knows about the Fusion stuff or has a better idea.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #4

What grout to use?

The digital scale is your friend. I had a big batch of Bostik's epoxy once. It came in 2 five gallon buckets. I cut that stuff into small batches and used it for a long time before I ran out.

If you have a large area to do, I would try to break it down into 30-50 square foot areas. I don't know about your conditions outside. When I have used it inside, I tried to have the temperature as close to 55 degrees as possible.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Doozer

What grout to use?

I am in southern California and the forecast for the next week is hot. ("Hot" as measured by an Oregonian.) The coolest days will be in the mid 70s, the warmest in the high 80s. The only way I'm going to see 55 degrees is to get up at about 5AM and get right to work. We were just talking about that this morning and it is probably what I will do.

But I'd still like to hear from anyone who has used that Fusion Pro stuff.