Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Share |

What goes under the tile to make it waterproof?

One of the options we are considering for the kitchen countertops is tile. Could go with the standard 3x3 tiles, or even the meshmount 1'x1' glass tile. Either way, i need tips for waterproofing.

Ive been around here long enough to know that grout is not waterproof and since this will be a rental, i would like it to be as waterproof as possible. I realize this is not possible as a forever thing, but hopefully i can find something to make it last 5-10 years or more.

What can i put under the tile to make it waterproof?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Tiling a counter top is not a popular choice nowadays, but I'm hoping to tile my kitchen counters in the near future. Of course I bought my new sink three years ago!

My plan is two pieces of 3/4" plywood (although I think one would be adequate), then CBU thinsetted (is that a word?) and screwed to the top. Then Red Gard or another roll on waterproofing before tiling.

Personally I'm going with a larger 13" tile. Many people complain about grout lines on the counter being difficult to keep clean, wipe up, or just causing small items to tip over. You might consider using the smaller tiles for the backsplash and use a larger one for the tops.

Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Don't forget to consider the edges of the tiles. Reticulated tiles have very sharp edges, and if you keep the grout even with the top of the tile, will leave a nice level counter top surface. Much easier to clean. If you choose something with a chiseled edge you will have more of a problem with an uneven surface and keeping the grout lines clean.

I would also suggest, especially if it's going to be a rental, going dark with the grout.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Reticulated tiles...
You mean rectified?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
JOATMON

It is not water proof....but as long as you don't leave water sitting on it for hours at a time, you will be ok.

Essentially, any water will weep down the grout...than to the underlayment...which is usually cement board or hardibacker...and if you have enough water to saturate the underlayment...it weeps to the wood.....

It's a slow process and would take a lot of water to cause a problem....

Think of your tiled walls in a shower...pretty much the same construction except you have a water proof barrier between the underlayment and studs.

Personally....having done a tile counter top....never again...yea, it's cost effective....but much higher maint....tile corners chip....etc. For me, granite is the only way to go...I would do formica before I tiled....

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #6

The problem with formica is that cutting it requires tools i just dont have, and dont have access to. Not to mention it can be messed up so easily. And i am not worried about the maintenance, its a rental and if they cant keep it clean, that is their problem. It only becomes my problem when they move out. Would Redgard be safe to use on a countertop? I know you use it in a shower behind the tiles, but on a countertop?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
DIY staff

Blonsence laid out a good method---

If you are concerned with grout getting stained---using epoxy grout or one of the urethane grouts---

I must warn you---both are very expensive---and if done poorly,could ruin the work---

Glass mosaic tiles are very difficult to work with---I do not suggest them for a novice----
Old 09-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You mean rectified?
Oops. Yeah. One of my blonder moments.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
JOATMON

Better than rectumfied.....

My
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Ok we discussed it last night and since we have six pieces of countertop to cover, we will start with the bathroom countertop, and blue glass tile. That way if it doesnt work, we wont have ruined a big expensive piece of wood. Thanks for the help.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrailerParadise For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-25-2013)