Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

What am I doing wrong? Grout color fading.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The color grout I'm putting in is a brown color. While its wet, its the color I want. When it's dry, the color lightens up alot to a very light brown color. If I scratch the top of the dried grout, just underneath is the color of the grout I wanted.

Thanks,
Mark

NE78FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

You are:

Mixing grout with too much water, the grout is too soupy.

Starting the clean up process too soon.

Using too much water in the cleaning process. * most common

Wipe too much along with the above.

Every time you wipe the grout, you are removing pigments from the surface.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #3

follow grout mixing instructions carefully. sounds like too much water in grout and too much water in cleanup. let grout firm up according to manufacturer's directions, then wipe at a 45 degree angle with sponge. wring sponge out completely. myself, this means 8-9 times after one rinse. time consuming but worth the effort. the surface crust is called efflorescence. it is normal and can be removed with right products. try mixing grout with distilled water. old trick of mine. perfect results
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Is it drying splotchy or is it evenly lighter?

Is it drying lighter than the package color, or just lighter than you would prefer?

When I did my shower I chose a medium brown color. I had the same issue. I preferred the color wet over dry too. That was my bad though. I should have chose a darker color.

You might check into color enhancing sealers.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
the surface crust is called efflorescence.
The surface ("crust?") is not efflorescence. The surface contamination is nothing more than "grout haze" from the initial finishing/cleaning of the grout.

If you continue to clean the grout whilst the grout is still wet from the initial installation you will continue to pull-out color pigment and other ingredients that will remain on the tile surface in the form of a haze.

It is best to tool and clean the grout to a satisfactory condition ignoring the haze. Then leave it alone. Later when the grout in the joints is dry, go back and clean the haze. Some hazing is more stubborn than others but it can be cleaned. By "later" I mean a few hours. The longer you wait to remove the haze the harder the task will be.

In some cases a mild acid such as white vinegar mixed with water will help to clean the haze.

Efflorescence can occur but not at the beginning. Efflorescence is natural salts and in some cases minerals that are contained in cement mixtures. When moisture is introduced to natural salts and minerals of this kind they naturally want to rise to the surface in an effort to evaporate. They bloom through to the surface and stop. After evaporation the salts and other minerals remain in the form of white dust/"crust".

Mark I doubt your situation is anywhere near that dramatic-let's just call it "grout haze".
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote