Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |

Waterproofing tiled shower walls.

I'm new to this forum, not exactly sure how to use it. I'm building my own custom walk in shower for the first time. I have a question about waterproofing shower seats. I already have installed the plumbing, pre pitch pan (with tarp paper, metal lath, the pre pitch system and mortar). I'm debating how to proceed to waterproof my 2 corner shower seats. For the rest if the shower I'm planning on using 6mil vapor barrier, cement board, mesh tape, thinset, then roll on water proofing liquid. Do I just treat the seats like the walls (I don't think I should) or use extra 40mil shower plan liner to drape over, then cement board. Help and thanks! Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Waterproofing tiled shower walls.-photo-1.jpg   Waterproofing tiled shower walls.-photo-2.jpg  
areusleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #2

You could always use drywall and Kerdi and be done with it :-)
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #3

Thanks. What about a compromise of the traditional way and kerdi for the seats? kerdi is expensive, I'm running out of money....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #4

The seats where built wrong.
The framing should have been built as you where building a wall with top plates, not just supported on 2X standing on end.
Also looks like you use CDX plywood to make the seats, should have been A/C subfloor rated. CDX is full of voids in the plys.
There also should have been 2X's laying flat nailed to the studs to act as nailers to support the seat where it meets the wall.
The way it's built now the seats going to flex and there's no good way to attach anything to the face of the seat.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #5

I don't think there's much value in combining Kerdi with other waterproofing methods.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

Thanks for your help. And as far as the framing of the seat go's I understand what your saying. I can't change much without ripping it out. I will try to some more support to the walls.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Tileguy

Sleepy,

Which liquid waterproofing will you be using and how many coats? Got a wet film gauge?

You said you're installing 6 mil plastic on the studs? Don't do that. Install the liquid membrane instead. I would have recommended Kerdi instead but............ I doubt it's gonna be much cheaper to go liquid if you apply the proper amount.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #8

I still haven't made a final decision. I'm thinking about RedGuard or something similar. I will be getting a film gauge. I need to cover about 150 square feet of wall. I believe 2 coats, so I should need about 3 gallons..so.. $150. My estimate for kerdi about $300 for the membrane and $50 or more in the seams and thinset.

About the 6mil plastic. You say "no, install the liquid membrane instead". Don't I need a vapor Barrier with the liquid membrane? I believe roll on "waterproof" membranes are still permeable to water vapor. I know with kerdi I would not need a vapor barrier.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
Don't I need a vapor Barrier with the liquid membrane?
Go read this;http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...am__shower.pdf

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #10

Thanks JazMan! I'm excited to read that.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
Tileguy

I'm happy too.

Jaz