Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Waterproofing a tiled shower

I'm planning to rebuild the tile shower in my bathroom with another tiled shower, with no fiberglass pan or walls, just tile throughout. I'll gut the bathroom down to the studs, and replace the subfloor if necessary. Then, I'll build up the base of the shower with 2x4s.
Many books and online tutorials show a multilayer process for the shower floor, one layer of which is a CPE waterproof membrane. My questions is, is it possible to use a spray on rubber coating, or other method to waterproof the shower floor instead of the membrane? It seems a sprayed on liner might be more waterproof, because there is a potential for unsealed areas in the folded membrane. I'm not sure of the durability of a sprayed waterproofing material vs a membrane?

gbook2 is offline   Reply With Quote