Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Waterproofing Durock?

Hey guys and gals I would appreciate a relativley quick response on this one. I have a fiberglass tub that I am going to be doing a tile surround with. I have the durock in place already and the fibermesh tape has been applied along with the mortar on the joints. Am I now ready to apply my mortar to install the tile or do I need to waterproof the durock before I install the tile. I have a 5 mil vapor barrier behind the durock if that matters. This shower will be used about 1 time every two weeks as it is a guest bathroom only. What waterproof material would you recommend and what is the general method to install it. Thanks

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Waterproofing Durock?

i'm no pro so don't quote me, but I can at least give you a direction to do some more research.

i don't think waterproofing is required. durock is water resistant in that it will not be damaged from moisture, but not waterproof in that it will block water. redgard & schluter kerdi are products that are used for water proofing. u can look further into that if u wish.

acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #3

Waterproofing Durock?

I have looked at Redgard and that looks pretty easy to use. My original thoughts were since the shower will be used so seldomly I'm thinking a full waterproof job could be overboard. I always wipe the tiles down to as soon as the shower is done. I am just thinking I will use the thinset and get the tiles installed. If anyone disagrees speak soon. Thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

Waterproofing Durock?

You should be fine without waterproofing.

I hope you don't regret taping the joints before you tile.---The tape is generally applied as you tile.
That avoids a ridge or high spot.

--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #5

Waterproofing Durock?

It feels pretty dang level to the touch so hopefully it will not effect the new tiles that are going to go up. I guess I didn't know that until now. I have always seen that done first but see I learn something everyday. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan5068 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-10-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Waterproofing Durock?

Check out this thread.

Preparation for Tiling??
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Waterproofing Durock?

backerboard is not waterproof
FlooringDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Waterproofing Durock?

even if the shower was getting alot of use you dont want to "double up" moisture barriers. the problem is that if the first barrier (red guard over backer board) is penitrated, the water is stoped by the second barrier (plastic) and traped. over time it can build up and cause a lot of mold and other damage.
hope this helps!
haversack tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Waterproofing Durock?

I have been laying tile for my whole life. YOU DO NOT NEED TO AND YOU CANNOT WATERPOOF Durock.....

You must get Laticrete thinset with a notched trowel and start spreading and sticking! (make sure you have your layout of course)
basementwaterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,186

Waterproofing Durock?

Quote:
YOU DO NOT NEED TO AND YOU CANNOT WATERPOOF Durock.....
NOTHING could be further from the truth! Nothing.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Tileguy

Waterproofing Durock?

Running late this morning...no time for dealing with idiots right now but I will say this:

Quote:
This guy (BUD) can criticize although he offers no advice...
1.) I have been offering skilled and experienced advice for ten years on these boards. My posts by now surely must exceed 100,000, compared to your 2, so don't say stupid stuff. By the way... I read all your posts, both of them, and I don't see where they offer any redeeming value what-so-ever.

2.) Never said anything about using drywall screws, only a dumbass would do that.

3.) Never said anything about not using tape, only a dumbass would not use tape.

4.) Never said anything about using a fast acting thinset either.

What I DID SAY was that: "You most certainly CAN waterproof Durock". To say one can't is nonsense! Doesn't matter if someone has been tiling their whole sorry life or not. Just trying to keep the record straight.

I see you are here simply to argue with someone so bring it on junior I'll be glad to take part.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Waterproofing Durock?

lets not make this thread into personal attacks. I haven't been here long, but I can tell Bud has contributed many useful posts to the forum.

the point is, you definitely CAN waterproof durock, but do you NEED to or SHOULD you? In this case, the OP says he already has vapor barrier behind the durock, so you SHOULDN'T waterproof it, otherwise, you'd be trapping moisture.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

Waterproofing Durock?

Drywall screws in durock, no tape, can't waterproof? Sorry, I'm sticking with Bud's advice.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
Tileguy

Waterproofing Durock?

Quote:
...the point is, you definitely CAN waterproof durock, but do you NEED to or SHOULD you?
Exactly correct.

Quote:
In this case, the OP says he already has vapor barrier behind the durock, so you SHOULDN'T waterproof it, otherwise, you'd be trapping moisture.
Exactly correct again.

Thank God...there ARE some knowing people out there somewhere.

Quote:
lets not make this thread into personal attacks.
Yeah Yeah Yeah, I mostly agree but I gotta tell ya...
The older I get the less willing I am to put up with morons, turning the other cheek is no longer an option for me. It is quicker to "cut to the chase" and not beat around the bush with these characters that give advice and have no idea what they had for breakfast.