Wall Tile - Five Questions - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Wall tile - five questions

Guys, I'm remodeling my bathroom.

The tub is an enclosed unit, so I don't need to worry about that. I'm tiling all walls from the floor to the 8' ceiling. The drywall is greenboard.

1) Can I use ceramic floor tile on my walls? It's thicker, but the style I like is available only in floor tile.

2) Do I really need concrete backer board for the wall tile? It's not in the shower, just in the rest of the bathroom walls. And there is plenty of ventilation.

3) Is the tile you find at Home Depot/Lowes going to be a good deal, or should I be looking at local retail shops instead?

4) Should Install my sink vanity cabinet and wall tile around it, or just tile the entire area and then install the cabinet?

5) Should I primer the walls before tiling or does it matter? Right now it's just tape & 3 layers of mud.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by CZ DIY; 04-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.
CZ DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

1. using floor tile on a wall is okay. not the other way around. 2. no backer required on walls. use mastic or thinset. your choice. 3. wouldn't hurt to shop around. 4. install first. 5. prime first.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #3

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

3) Is the tile you find at Home Depot/Lowes going to be a good deal, or should I be looking at local retail shops instead?

One thing to watch for is a consistent size. If there is much variation, a wider grout line will make things easier.

4) Should Install my sink vanity cabinet and wall tile around it, or just tile the entire area and then install the cabinet?

It's a Tomato, To-mah-to thing. It can be done both ways. Tiling first uses more tiles, but tiling a flat wall and floor is easier than cutting pieces to fit around the vanity.

In your shoes, since you are doing the walls and (I assume) using a fairly smooth ceramic tile, I might consider tiling first, skipping the tiles for the plumbing rough out and any cabinet fasteners. That way, if down the road someone wanted to change out the vanity patching the walls and floor wouldn't be too much of an issue. Otherwise changing the vanity could pretty much require the whole bathroom be re-done.
Then stash your leftover tiles in the back of the garage just in case.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post

One thing to watch for is a consistent size. If there is much variation, a wider grout line will make things easier.

It's a Tomato, To-mah-to thing. It can be done both ways. Tiling first uses more tiles, but tiling a flat wall and floor is easier than cutting pieces to fit around the vanity.

In your shoes, since you are doing the walls and (I assume) using a fairly smooth ceramic tile, I might consider tiling first, skipping the tiles for the plumbing rough out and any cabinet fasteners. That way, if down the road someone wanted to change out the vanity patching the walls and floor wouldn't be too much of an issue. Otherwise changing the vanity could pretty much require the whole bathroom be re-done.
Then stash your leftover tiles in the back of the garage just in case.
I just noticed this reponse. Thanks for the info. I actually would prefer to tile everything and then install the cabinet afterwards, exactly for the reasons you suggested. I just wasn't sure if that was a no-no for some reason.

I'm shopping for a tile cutter on eBay today. Hoping to pick up tiles sometime this week or next.

I should be priming the walls this week, assuming I finish mudding tomorrow as planned. Everything takes 4x longer than you think it will. Especially when you're doing it all yourself and you're a first-timer.